What is the best paper for boxpleating and tessellations?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

What is the best paper for boxpleating and tessellations?

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

I was folding some boxpleated models, and my paper was small and I had to fold accurately. What is the best type of paper for boxpleating, and where do I find it?
Also, what paper for tessellations?
Any help would be much appreciated.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: What is the best paper for boxpleating and tessellations

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

First of all, you should always be folding accurately. Paper size doesn't always matter; i once did a 32x32 grid on a 5cm square of double tissue.

Box pleating is a pretty broad term; ryujin 3.5 is box pleated, but so are most of Ricardo Foschi's models. You gotta be more specific, like "what's the best paper for box pleated insects?" which at the higher level is almost always single tissue, btw

Thus, I think the question is not as much the type of paper, but rather the size. You can kinda tell how big the sheet should be based on what the grid size is. As a rule of thumbs, i would say: 16x16 = 10cm+, 32x32 = 25cm+, 48x48 = 35cm+, 64x64 = 50cm+, etc, and those can all be done pretty comfortably.

As for paper types, double tissue is the most versatile, you can't really go wrong with it (i have a video of how i make it on my youtube). Tissue foil works too but not always because it gets thick; also the precreasing from the grid won't go away. Tracing paper is good because it's pretty strong and thin and comes in large sheets easily, but doesn't come in any colors other than white. Single tissue is good for insects but not much else
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Sorry that I wasn't very clear, Thanks for your help

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

With the accuracy, I do try to fold as accurately as possible, but I mess up a lot...
Yes, I know boxpleating is a very big term, and what I think I meant to say was that what is the best type of paper for boxpleating not too complex models, more of simpler intermediate to complex boxpleating.

Your rule of thumb seems pretty good. I think this could be useful, because I have found a tissue that is 76.2 centimeter exactly in the largest possible square for it.

So I should will try to make double tissue, I found your video Here
(For those who want to see it on the forum without opening tabs.)
I have previously heard about the insects, but I have never tried tissue foil, tracing paper, or single tissue.
Refining on my previous question about tessellation paper, what paper is best for tessellations? I have heard Stardream paper is good, but I would like to know if there is a better paper.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: What is the best paper for boxpleating and tessellations

Post by origami_8 »

As with so many things it depends on the model and the folder. For tessellations some people like to use very heavy papers like elephant hide, others prefer translucent papers like glassine. You can however fold tessellations from almost any paper that takes creases well and easily changes direction. So tissue Foil is definitely the wrong paper for tessellations, but a good paper for boxpleating.

To get to know a variation of good suited papers for Origami, I'd recommend you to get a discovery pack from origami-shop: https://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami ... 7-827.html