Plastic vs. Glass For MC

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
dinogami

Plastic vs. Glass For MC

Post by dinogami »

Hey all! - I've been using a large sheet of glass for making double tissue, etc. with MC. Today it broke, sadly. Before I replace it, I've been poking around in the forum because I recall a few discussions in which some people have mentioned using plastic instead. But I also recall some people mentioning MC'd paper sticking more to plastic...? So I'm curious if anyone has experimented with/determined whether different plastic types work better than others (e.g., acrylic vs. polycarbonate)? Or, if you're using plastic this way and it works as well as glass, which type are you using? Thanks for any advice and anecdotes!
DoubleTissue

Re: Plastic vs. Glass For MC

Post by DoubleTissue »

I've always used acrylic, and I've never had an issue with paper sticking too much. If anything, I wish it stuck more; some colors of tissue paper expand a lot when they get wet, and thus contract a lot when they dry and tend to pull themselves up. I'd imagine glass is smoother than plastic, particularly long term as the plastic will nick more in day-to-day use. I can't speak to acrylic vs polycarb, but polycarb will be substantially more expensive. Just curious, what size are you using?
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

i don't know about plastic, but i know my wooden desk works. I like glass better though because i feel like the desk absorbs a little bit, and sometimes the mc beads up on it. still works fine though.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

A sheet of acrylic is what I use regularly. I have tried it with methylcellulose, starches and other products and it works fine. I have used a plastic tablecloth too; it was tine. Laminated wood also works. Smooth surfaces of many kinds are likely to work.