My (short) write up on origami paper charateristics

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Cadix

My (short) write up on origami paper charateristics

Post by Cadix »

I put together a very short google doc for someone about with what characteristics origami paper can have (in my experience) and I thought I'd share it. I think a lot of the characteristics I list are pretty standard, but it maybe there's something interesting in there.

It has some examples of how I'd rate different papers and a list of some of the unconventional materials I've used. The bottom has some origami I've folded. It also has some extraneous stuff, like some designers to look into (the person didn't know a ton about origami and was primarily into making paper).

If you'd like to take a look it is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... lCtKGC/pub. If you'd like to comment on it, send me a message and I'll send you link that lets you comment on the doc directly.

There's not a lot to it, so your mileage may vary, but enjoy! :-)
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
Cadix

Re: My (short) write up on origami paper charateristics

Post by Cadix »

Whoops! Wrong topic! Can someone move this to the origami paper area?
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
origami_8
Administrator

Re: My (short) write up on origami paper charateristics

Post by origami_8 »

Nice compilation of paper characteristics. You should note though that the gsm (grams per square meter) is the density of the paper not the thickness. The density can correlate with the thickness, but doesn't need to. Paper can be very heavy, yet thin and vice versa.
Just as an example Lokta feels rather thick compared to its weight, a 30 gsm Lokta is as thick as if you take three or four sheets of 80 gsm copy paper together.
Transparent paper on the other hand is very dense, yet thin. A 110 gsm sheet of transparent paper is way thinner than 80 gsm copy paper.