Paper for insects or other complex models

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
PaulSquid

Paper for insects or other complex models

Post by PaulSquid »

I’m looking to experiment with using MC on paper, since I need something thin and strong to fold insects and things like that. I was wondering what paper is good to use for that. For example, I know that you can make single-layer MC paper using unryu, but I was wondering if there was anything like that, but without the specialized texture of unryu? Basically, is there a commonly used solid color paper that I can try MCing?

Thank you!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Paper for insects or other complex models

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Yes, usually people treat single tissue to use for insects. Most tissue papers you can find at craft stores would work. If you're in the US, the Spritz brand from Target is very good.
PaulSquid

Post by PaulSquid »

Thank you! Yes, I am in the US. While I’m on the subject, where would you recommend getting MC from?
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

You can try kozo paper. I have used a single piece of it treated with MC and it works pretty well for complex models.

Unryu is my go to for stuff like this though. I'll use it doubled up or doubled with a piece of regular tissue paper or Kozo to get double colored paper, but as long as it is sized with MC, it can be used as a single sheet, and it works well for things that need really thin paper.

Obviously Origamido works well too, but it is hard to find and expensive when available. Unryu is really not that much different and always readily available. I usually order from Mulberry Papers and More. They ship it rolled, so no folds, which is nice. It is just less uniform, and sometimes has some pretty large fibers. I've never had the fibers present a problem though, and it is wonderfully strong compared to most paper.

If you are looking for foil, Unryu works well with with normal aluminum foil, bonded together using spray adhesive.
woodsongfog

Post by woodsongfog »

In the US, Elmers Art Paste is made of MC and is usually pretty available.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

You can order MC powder from www.dickblick.com
It is an art supply store
PaulSquid

Post by PaulSquid »

ginshun wrote: December 4th, 2020, 9:31 pm You can try kozo paper. I have used a single piece of it treated with MC and it works pretty well for complex models.

Unryu is my go to for stuff like this though. I'll use it doubled up or doubled with a piece of regular tissue paper or Kozo to get double colored paper, but as long as it is sized with MC, it can be used as a single sheet, and it works well for things that need really thin paper.

Obviously Origamido works well too, but it is hard to find and expensive when available. Unryu is really not that much different and always readily available. I usually order from Mulberry Papers and More. They ship it rolled, so no folds, which is nice. It is just less uniform, and sometimes has some pretty large fibers. I've never had the fibers present a problem though, and it is wonderfully strong compared to most paper.

If you are looking for foil, Unryu works well with with normal aluminum foil, bonded together using spray adhesive.
Hey, I know it's been a while, but can I follow up on this? I got delayed in my experiments, but I made a few sheets of duo unryu (and currently drying some single layer ones). I feel like the duo is still too thick for complex models. Am I doing something wrong, or is only single-sheet unryu good for complex models?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

you can use two sheets of unryu. it will be rather thick, but it will be workable. single sheet unryu is "better" for super complex models, but there are still issues (mainly those threads might get in the way of neat folding).