Thin Duo Colour Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
rkj00

Thin Duo Colour Paper

Post by rkj00 »

Hey there,
I was wondering how to make thin Duo Colour paper, especially those with a sharp colour change like black and white for example. My experiences so far are white tissue-foil-black tissue, but the problem is that it always has this shininess of the foil in between. I also tried without the foil but with two or even three layers of the lighter tissues, but then it becomes to thick to fold the most complex models. Is there any trick I don't know? I'm for example which paper Bodo Haag used for his stunning zebra model? Maybe the trick is just to use very large paper, then the thickness is not so important of course. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Thin Duo Colour Paper

Post by origami_8 »

Airbrushing the lighter side with opaque colours works but needs special equipment...and if you are already at it you can airbrush both sides as well to get ultra thin duo-colour paper.
rkj00

Post by rkj00 »

Thank you, that sounds interesting! I'm a bit worried though about the foldability since dye is not the best folding material...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You really only need a very thin coating. The airbrush makes it possible to work with tiny amounts of colour and still get amazing results. Airbrush colours are pretty expensive though, but you like I said, you only need a tiny amount. I've worked with them on ultra thin almost translucent rice paper and it folded like a dream. I wouldn't go with single tissue paper as tissue paper has pretty short fibres and on its own breaks easily, but on paper with better folding properties like the ultra thin rice paper I worked with, it makes a wonderful duo coloured paper for complex Origami models. It is one of my favourite Origami papers so far and I tried quite a lot.
rkj00

Post by rkj00 »

Thanks for your input. I will try it as soon as I have time and then I post my experiences here ;)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

origami_8 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 11:42 pm You really only need a very thin coating. The airbrush makes it possible to work with tiny amounts of colour and still get amazing results. Airbrush colours are pretty expensive though, but you like I said, you only need a tiny amount. I've worked with them on ultra thin almost translucent rice paper and it folded like a dream. I wouldn't go with single tissue paper as tissue paper has pretty short fibres and on its own breaks easily, but on paper with better folding properties like the ultra thin rice paper I worked with, it makes a wonderful duo coloured paper for complex Origami models. It is one of my favourite Origami papers so far and I tried quite a lot.
this is intriguing. would you mind pointing out an airbrush you recommend, and possibly a minitutorial? i'm just picturing making a gigantic, irreversible mess.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To tell the truth, I think that a good air compressor is more important than the right airgun. I've got cheap china guns as well as an expensive one from the US that was highly recommended on the airbrush forums and to tell the truth, I don't see much of a difference. Given that I paint the paper prior to folding and not afterwards (what would be possible as well), I don't need the gun to draw super fine and precise but rather want a uniform coverage of a big area, for this purpose almost all guns work the same. My recommendation would be to get an AS196 compressor with two Zylinders and 3 litres tank together with any cheap airbrush set and a set of good quality prime colours together with a cleaning solution for those colours. Some paints need to be diluted, if that's the case you need the right media to do so, but the ones I use come in a work-ready dilution. I also got myself a spray booth, a cleaning cup, a gun holder and respiration masks. You should make sure to use the airbrush in a well ventilated area. If you don't have a spray booth I recommend to cover everything around your workspace in old newspapers or the like to avoid making a mess. Using the airbrush itself is pretty easy. You connect it with the compressor, put a few drops of colour into the gun's cup and fire it. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube how to do it right. There are two main types of guns, single and duo action. With the single action you can only control the paint flow, with the duo action you can control the airflow as well. Duo-action airguns are usually the better choice. While airbrushing you should always move the gun. It is important to only apply a very fine mist of colour and don't wet the paper. If you adhere to this rule, the colour will dry almost instantly. That way you can colour both sides of the paper differently without any colour soaking through. Of course you need to use opaque colours. For my thin rice paper, if I want one side to be white and the other lets say black, I would usually start painting the white side with a super opaque white and then do the other side with black. Some years ago I did want to give a workshop at a convention, but unfortunately the convention place forbid the use of any colours within their facilities, so I could only talk about it and show the materials without using them. I did however give a small presentation with water only. Furthermore I brought along a variety of papers that I painted that got a lot of attention even prior to the workshop, because they were so thin with yet so brilliant colours on both sides. Regarding a mini tutorial I can't make any promises. Working and studying at the same time don't leave much room for anything else, but if I can squeeze it in in my timetable I might as well try to make one. Anything in particular that you would like to see?
globaltroper

Post by globaltroper »

Its wonderful idea! I like it!
Bodo

Post by Bodo »

rkj00 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 11:04 pm Hey there,
I was wondering how to make thin Duo Colour paper, especially those with a sharp colour change like black and white for example. My experiences so far are white tissue-foil-black tissue, but the problem is that it always has this shininess of the foil in between. I also tried without the foil but with two or even three layers of the lighter tissues, but then it becomes to thick to fold the most complex models. Is there any trick I don't know? I'm for example which paper Bodo Haag used for his stunning zebra model? Maybe the trick is just to use very large paper, then the thickness is not so important of course. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
The secret is that the paper actually isn't all that thin.
I folded one with tissue glued on Tracing paper ( 100 cm )
And one with tissue glued on mulberry paper ( about 70 cm )
Both papers aren't very thin. I'd guess they both had more than 60 gsm.
Getting thin Black and white paper with a good color separation is very hard, usually double tissue doesn't get a very useable color separation. ( You can add a little acrylic paint to make the colors better )
rkj00

Post by rkj00 »

Thanks for all replies. So you mean mixturing white colour into the MC mix when glueing the sheets together? For larger papers, its obviously not that big of a deal if they become thicker (and have a better colour change in return), the problem is that I'm kind of limited to 50 cm because the glass I'm glueing on is only that large...