MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
zxop9

MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by zxop9 »

searched for a while but could not find a post with mc in it, my question is how to spell the word properly
Yannick GARDIN

Post by Yannick GARDIN »

Try with that : methyl cellulose.
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

thanks a lot

now, i'm just curious, why would i use mc over spray glue, what are the benifits, thanks for any responce in advance
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You use methyl cellulose because it seeps into and becomes part of the paper. All spray glue does is stick two sheets together.
pereze

Post by pereze »

Once you use methyl celluose, you never go back :)
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

is it widely available or quite rare to get (in the uk) :D
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

It isn't exactly easy to come by, even where I live, but I'm definately glad that I managed to find some :D that stuff is amazing!
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

thanks a ton, i just have one more question while i'm at it, as i read through other forums with info on htis product it almost seemed like they glued two sheets of tissue together with out any tin foil inbetween, is that what is happening or is it just a misunderstanding?
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

Usually, tissue paper is glued together with tin foil in between, but they never use MC to glue the them together, usually spray glue or a glue stick is used.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I usually purchase mine online from The Chemistry Store.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

If you buy EVERYTHING online, when will you ever leave the house or get any exercise? You'll get fat and pale, like a giant lump of pizza dough.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

You'll get fat and pale, like a giant lump of pizza dough.
did you hack my webcam? [img]http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... ocking.gif[/img]
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

You can also buy exercise equipment online... as well as sessions with trainers !

But, if that is a problem, I believe that Hideo Komatsu has the solution:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/ ... 1ddti7.jpg

Author: Hideo Komatsu
Folder: Đặng Việt Tân

Stolen by -->

- Hank Simon
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

zxop9 wrote:thanks a ton, i just have one more question while i'm at it, as i read through other forums with info on htis product it almost seemed like they glued two sheets of tissue together with out any tin foil inbetween, is that what is happening or is it just a misunderstanding?
YES!! If you use MC you NEVER use foil (MC doesn't stick to foil). The point of MC is for backcoating. It allows you to stick two thin sheets together, making one, often with different colors on each side. It also adds sizing, which gices the paper more ability to hold shape. Typically it's been used for nice papers.

However a fairly recent trend has been using MC to stick two sheets of tissue paper together. This is a real 2+2=7 situation. The resulting paper is thick enough that it can be folded (but still quite thin), crisp, holds a crease, can have a crease reversed, holds its shape well, etc. The only problems really are that tissue paper is not PH-balanced ("acid-free") and has unstable dyes, so after a number of years your works may erode, just like tissue-foil ones.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I tried out double tissue for the first time recently (I folded Bahamut by the way), and I had less than perfect results. I found that creases are still difficult to reverse and it was hard to work with since it was so thin. I am not used to using large, thin sheets though, so that might be it too. I didn't wet-fold it, but it was still a pain. I will have to try it again and see if I get better results.