MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
PleatBox

Re: MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by PleatBox »

Have you tried to put a layer of mc in the glass first? Also, try to use a a long tube for the paper. I have a pvc pipe lying around and I usually roll the paper to it so it can lie flat as possible and as less wrinkles as possible.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It could have been either, but I'm thinking Pleat's suggestion is probably more correct. Now that I think about it, I hadn't put a coat of MC directly on the acrylic cus I'd assumed the mulberry was the same as regular double tissue (i.e., I thought the MC would soak through the paper and stick it to the acrylic).
I guess you learn from experience. xD
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
ligerzilla2014

Post by ligerzilla2014 »

I'm not sure what process you're using, but if you're not gluing one sheet down, letting it dry, then placing another dry sheet on top and then putting MC on top of that (instead of between the sheets), I would try doing so. I've never really had an issue with uneven drying (mine always seem to dry unevenly and it's never caused wrinkling or detachment).
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I've been using an MC / paper / MC / paper / MC sandwich on top of the acrylic; that seems like an interesting idea though. I'll have to try it sometime.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

is philip still around? he can tell you more, but IIRC, you can save some of these "ruined" sheets by moistening them and ironing them out.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
gamus

Post by gamus »

hey, i tried to apply some mc, after finishing the model, but it didnt really work, (the paper didnt hold together the way i expected and it didnt act like a shaping glue..)
any suggestions what i did wrong? or do u guys have any idea what i could use to fix my finished and shaped models?
thx for the help:)
easysid

Post by easysid »

I tried CMC, and while the paper is stiffer than before, the sheets don't stay together, and come apart (although I have to apply a slight pull). The bond isn't as strong as a glue. Should I mix some white glue in the solution?
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Possibly your solution is to thin (too much water, not enough CMC). However, one problem I have found with some tissue papers is that the MC won't soak they both sheets unless I paint it on one sheet at a time. This could also be your problem - if you were previously just putting both sheets of tissue paper on and then applying your CMC, you should try it one sheet at a time.

CMC is pretty much identical to MC, right? :)
easysid

Post by easysid »

Merlyngami wrote: CMC is pretty much identical to MC, right? :)
I suppose so.

I'll try different methods to see what works. But it doesn't look like that the bond will stay.
zauron

Post by zauron »

This one works?: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC)

FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Okay kids...so after like a 5 year origami hiatus I'm back in the game. Please help me remember: I feel like when I used to MC a sheet, I'd just lay it down on the glass dry, then apply the MC, and it would seep through and soak the paper, attaching it to the glass. I'd work out the wrinkles and bubbles, and let it dry and I'd be good to go. I just did a sheet though, and it got a couple splits in the middle. That's uneven drying, yeah? I don't recall this happening to me years ago, but maybe this was just a poor quality sheet? If you guys have any advice, or if I'm forgetting something, please tell me! I'm like 95% certain this is all I used to do. No pre-wetting the glass or paper.
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

I used to think that just happened when it dried too fast, but my last few sheets have been doing that too and it's been pretty cold lately. Possibly it has something to do with the consistency/thickness of the MC?
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Treating paper is always inconsistent from my experience, I've been doing it for a few years now and I've come to many problems. When I first tried it, I lay the paper on the glass and applied mc while it seeps through the glass, it won't stick well enough on the glass though, so when it dries up and shrinks, it crumples and the paper rips all over the place. I tried applying the mc first in the glass and laid the paper using a pvc pipe, and it works well, however the paper gets a lot of wrinkles. Quality of the paper and mc is very important. I find tissue paper that bleeds is preferable, however the drawback is the inconsistent color after it dries. Also spraying the paper with a mist of water doesn't work either, for short fiber papers. Handmade papers, on the other hand works fine with the spraying method, and it also removes the problem of wrinkles.

Now the problem I'm facing is when I apply the mc on the glass it dries up too quickly, like if I apply some it will dry up in a few minutes, the summer heat doesn't help either. This makes it difficult to treat the paper becuase there will be dry areas when I roll the paper. To this day I still have not solved it.

There are probably many factors affecting the process. Have you moved recently? Different seasons may affect the paper. The humidity and temperature may also be a cause. Are you using a different brand of mc and paper? If so, that may also be the case.

Not only that, but most of us here live in different parts of the world, so when we treat the paper, results are very different from each other, because of the different environments we live in. Hence, the inconsistency of the results.

Best thing you can probably do is experiment a lot, trying out different methods of treating the paper. You will probably waste a lot of paper in the process, I've been through that and it is painful. But it will be worth it.

Hope this helps!
Andre-4

Re:

Post by Andre-4 »

Max wrote:haha, i traped a funny discussion *g*

By the way, i use "Canson" tissue paper.
Funny how limited one is when it comes to choosing paper depending on the country living in. Here we got tissue paper and elephant hide, but i wasnt able to find mullberry paper yet.
every nation has trade agreements,sanctions And natural resources And business To support but you Can buy online with Paypal Or credit cards
In the u.k most supermarkets have a Birthday card aisle thats where i Get the cheap ones.......for big names like Simon Elvin,Caspari,Emma Bridgewater look At Amazon.com or Ebay
and look in the celebration category As well As business stationery for gift boxes have nice wrapping papers As DO flower stalls carry weights OF 40 to 50 gsm