MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by bethnor »

PleatBox wrote: I tried applying the mc first in the glass and laid the paper using a pvc pipe, and it works well, however the paper gets a lot of wrinkles. Quality of the paper and mc is very important.
one way to do this method but decrease wrinkles is apply mc on the glass only along the long edges.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I've had a problem for a while, actually: Whenever I make double tissue, I almost always run into the problem of the layers splaying apart during precreasing. It's easily fixable by adding a dab of MC and waiting a few minutes, but then I have to re-crease that part of the paper.
I know how to minimize bubbles (and I'm thinking that might be the source of the problem), but I was wondering if anyone had further tips on helping the sheets bond together better.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Baltorigamist wrote:I know how to minimize bubbles (and I'm thinking that might be the source of the problem), but I was wondering if anyone had further tips on helping the sheets bond together better.
Thicker MC is how I do it. Sometimes added a bit of white glue into the mix helps as well. What ratio of water to mc are you using?
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm not sure exactly what the ratio is, as I don't have the box right now. (It's Elmer's Art Paste, if that helps.) It's pretty thin, though, maybe a gallon of water for a couple ounces of MC powder.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

This is the best brand I have found. Use the recommended "recipe" on the back of the container, maybe even a little stronger. Never had a problem with peeling except with terrible tissue paper. Speaking of which, the best brand for cheap, non bleeding tissue paper I have found is Seaman Paper. I usually can only find it in Hobby Lobby, but it has very strong fibers, good dye, and is very thin and crisp out of the package. I have no problem bonding it three sheets thick, alternating the way the paper is turned for each layer. Blick's paper is also good, though some of the dye's bleed which can lead to very neat effects but in my opinion is annoying.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the tips.
I'm not sure what brand the tissue I've been using is, but it's fairly expensive except for the fact that you get 20"x30" sheets. It's pretty strong, though.
As far as the MC, does Blick sell that kind in-store? I haven't seen it lately.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

They carry it here in Georgia at one of the stores in Atlanta and the store in Savannah. Can't speak for any of the others though.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

Baltorigamist wrote:Thanks for the tips.
I'm not sure what brand the tissue I've been using is, but it's fairly expensive except for the fact that you get 20"x30" sheets. It's pretty strong, though.
As far as the MC, does Blick sell that kind in-store? I haven't seen it lately.
Some brands bleed and some split..but I prefer pva glue diluted 1:3 to the mc I was using.my reasoning is this.. the paper is already 20 gsm thin...for it to feel crisp but not crackly to the touch ...I find the wallpaper paste too erratic..unless you stick to a precise recipe..
I still have the paper tear though that is called not knowing your own strength..
Crackly flaky paper is a bad consistency of glue and unsuitable model..you cannot make a tree do what it's nature is against..
Remember the tree has an spirit element something the Japanese masters took very seriously but us westerners disregard...
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

Can anyone tell me how do I buy MC online on amazon?
I searched and many results came. Got me confused!
Also, how much water should I add?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I'd recommend you to search for it in stores nearby as it is often way cheaper than if you get it online. Most hardware stores carry wallpaper pastes in powder form. That's what you are looking for. A common brand in my area is Metylan Normal, but any other brand will do just fine. Art and stationary stores carry it as well, there you will search for powdered glue to make Papier-mâché with.

Regarding the water, read what the label on the box says. People have very different preferences, when it comes to thickness, but as a rule of thumb you should look out for egg-white consistency. I recommend to make a pretty thick solution and water it down as needed. A jar of the thick solution stays good for several years, so you don't have to worry wasting it. It's best to take a jam jar, add some powder and water, add the lid and shake it really well. Then let it sit over night.
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

I've found tylose powder at a nearby confectionary store. Tylose is mostly carboxymethyl cellulose. Will it work to treat mulberry?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Most likely.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Do I need to treat Korean Hanji with mc?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Not necessarily, I think it folds well as it is.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Apologies if this has been covered here, but is it okay to mix two different brands of MC in the same mixture? If it matters, I'm talking about Elmer's Art Paste being mixed with Lineco methylcellulose. They should be the same stuff--or similar, at least--but I don't want to ruin any paper if it doesn't work.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr