MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Re: MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

Tahaorigami wrote:Can anyone tell me how do I buy MC online on amazon?
I searched and many results came. Got me confused!
Also, how much water should I add?
You can buy it as Lineco Methyl Cellulose if you search, it should be in a container. That is the one I use.
I don't know what a good substance would be to put tissue paper on, could you guys help me? Just plastic or plexiglass or something?
Last edited by OrigamiasaEnthusiast on May 19th, 2020, 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
Dupla

Post by Dupla »

Hello guys,

I'm new in making tissue paper, so I'm sorry for this basic question.
I bought Metylan Normal and I want to ask you - what is the ratio for mixing it with water for making good tissue paper? Thank you!
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Origami_Hunt wrote: I think last time I used one tablespoon in one pint of water. But don't worry, if this is not enough you can add a second layer of MC or concentrate your solution adding more MC. This is enough for about four or five sheets, depending on size and on the method you use. For double tissue is enough to line up the two sheets and cover them with MC. The same for a single sheet. The solution will permeate the two sheets. In the past, I have used a more thorough but wasteful method:

Paint the surface (glass, plastic) with MC,
Lay the first tissue sheet on top.
Paint it with MC.
Lay the second tissue sheet.
Paint it with MC.

But the only thing this does is waste time and increase the grammage of the final paper but tell us if you had a different experience. Here you have a demonstration by Sara Adams:

Others have methods, and check out the MC substitutes thread for a few recipes with other items or possible uses, go Here
Dupla

Post by Dupla »

OrigamiasaEnthusiast wrote: Others have methods, and check out the MC substitutes thread for a few recipes with other items or possible uses, go Here
Thank you! I found it on youtube.com before you posted it and tried it so I will see the result. :)
I tried potato starch and PVAC glue before but the paper stick at the glass plate and I couldn't peel it off.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Nice! You can find other methods and tissue foil on youtube too.