origamado paper making lessons

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
foldingpaper

origamado paper making lessons

Post by foldingpaper »

have any of you done this? how was it? how much paper did you make?
Radiant_Howl2628

Re: origamado paper making lessons

Post by Radiant_Howl2628 »

No i haven't yet but i planned on going to visit the studio sometime this summer. Well the process is just like making your own paper using select fibers and colored pigments, etc. Are you planning to go to the origamido studio? i think there is a fee for classes for making your own sheets but you can numerous of sheets i believe correct me if i'm wrong. just visit there website for details http://www.origamido.com/what-we-do/ori ... kshop.html.
foldingpaper

Post by foldingpaper »

yeah i was considering signing up for the lesson, but it is a little too expensive for me right now (although michael told me via email most people leave with 50-100 16"x20 sheets depending on thickness of the paper which is probably worth the fee in and of itself). i thought i would just see if anyone on here had any rave reviews or something
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

foldingpaper wrote:have any of you done this? how was it? how much paper did you make?
Look at papermaking set on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61599104@N02/

I've changed the techniques a bit, but not much (mainly a larger rock tumbler). About 4 18" sheets per ounce of dry pulp, or 60+ sheets/lb. at ~30gsm.
I do 70% abaca and 30% flax. Unless I'm doing a complex bug or something like that I'll almost always mc a piece or two of tissue to it, both for color and folding properties.
You don't necessarily have to press/roll it, but suppossedly it increases the paper strength. I haven't measured the difference in any way, so I can't say that it does. I made a sheet without rolling it and it seems just fine, but I haven't folded it yet. The roller is nice for combining sheets sometimes, so I think it's worth having. If you don't need anything bigger than 18" then smaller, cheaper laminating rollers are available.

Considering ogami is something like $16 a sheet it pays for itself quite quickly.

Having said all that, double tissue mc is pretty damn good, and cheap. Handmade is certainly better, and double tissue mc + a 30gsm handmade sheet is just awesome for things other than complex insects. The rhino, oryx, urangutan on my flickr are all a combination of tissue + handmade.

I think it's worth it, but not on straight economic terms. $.50 a sheet for DTMC just can't be beat.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i will probably go this novenmber.