Robert J. Lang - Praying Mantis

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

ah ok... sorry about the confusion then. Becuase we were talking about good paper to use for Lang's mantis in OI2, but i didnt see when he posted Kamiya's mantis.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

to be perfectly clear, i think lang has designed at least 3 mantises, possibly 4, depending on your point of view.

there is one based off a rectangle in "origami zoo."

"snack time" is technically 2 mantises.

IMHO, the mantises from "origami insects and their kin" and "origami insects 2" are both fairly complex, but the latter is much much easier to do. the one from the former is difficult to do without ripping the paper at some point.
Thikr

Post by Thikr »

Hi, I'm new here (and I DO know how to use the search function thank you... just not always good at it). I know this is a popular model (very popular I believe) and I need some help with it.

I have been folding origami for about two years and started this pattern way back at about two months in. From then till now I always got stuck on step 40-50-ish. I cannot find the Diagrams anywhere (there used to be a six or so page pdf with instructions) and I am assuming it was a copyright thing. If anyone has these could you link them? Any whoo...

I got to a point (for anyone who has already folded this) where the top came to a point and you had to pull layers of paper from underneath and wrap them around the stuff up top (I will get more descriptive later when I have the diagrams). It said at one point, when all necessary areas were wrapped to "Make a preliminary base with the top parts". I know what a preliminary base is and how to make one from a square but I did not know what this meant. I do not doubt that I can fold this and I know my limits, I just cannot for the life of my figure this out. Well thanks all! I hope to enjoy my stay here! :D
Even if a pawn becomes a Queen, it is still just a playing piece of someone else's game.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the *.pdf to this diagram should still be available off of alex barber's origami site (which seems to be down for the time being).

failing that, the diagrams are also available in origami insects and their kin, which is still in print.

you could also try contacting dr. lang and asking him. since the *.pdf has available for free for some time, he may have no problem giving you the diagrams himself. he posts on this forum, look for him in the thread re: sarah morris.

regarding your difficulty, don't mean to sound like a jerk, but i don't know what to tell you other than the layers need to be rearranged into a preliminary fold. when you complete the sequence you describe, the layers may not fall initially this way, and lang is asking that you rearrange them such that they do (i.e., such that the four corners of the square are touching each other). if you've honestly gotten this far without ripping the paper, then you're basically past one of the hardest sequences in origami (to do without ripping the paper).
Diamonds

Post by Diamonds »

Hey I have seen this thread and I have a problem with the Praying Mantis by Robert J Lang. I have also the Problem at the steps 47 and 48, and I hope someone can help me doing this.
Tymalous

Post by Tymalous »

2 things, are you talking about the one from origami 1 or 2,
and i need help with the open sink in like step 50, insects 2
thank you!
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

Do you mean step 55-56? because that is just pleat sinking. you sink in and out along the lines.
funkyfun

Step 9

Post by funkyfun »

I am totally stuck on step
9. Open out the sink and push some paper up
from the inside; pinch the excess paper in half
and swing it over to the left.

My model looks exactly like the image daydreamer posted and I am certain to have made the previous steps correctly.

No matter how I try to perform step 9 I would not end up with the corner on the lower left that should be reverse folded in step 10.

And also I have nothing to swing over to the left side. Which piece is the excess paper?

Thanks a lot for help

Max
burtiii

Step 35...

Post by burtiii »

Hello, can someone help me on step 35 ??

I can't understand step 32 to 35 and exactly that thing : "Wrap one layer of
paper to the front"...

Please help...

Burak...
oz

Post by oz »

Which mantis are you referring to? The one in Origami Insects and their Kin, or #2? Neither of these in steps 32-35 have any wrapping layers to the front...

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Re: Step 35...

Post by gachepapier »

burtiii wrote:Hello, can someone help me on step 35 ??

I can't understand step 32 to 35 and exactly that thing : "Wrap one layer of
paper to the front"...

Please help...

Burak...
It usually means that the back layer needs to be rotated a full 360° to the front, which feels a bit like a sink. IIRC there is indeed such a step in the Origami Insects-II version (don't have the book at hand).
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
burtiii

Post by burtiii »

Thank you all :D

I finished it finally :)

Not a too hard step but, requires much concentrate and thinking....

Burak

:D
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

burtiii wrote: I finished it finally :)
How about you show us ?

:wink:
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
burtiii

Post by burtiii »

I finished it but couldn't make his head...

Cause I'm not a really good origamist...

I will take a picture of him and send it to here...

Thanks.. :D

Burak...
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I don't know which one this is, or if it is legal:

http://areeweb.polito.it/didattica/poly ... Mantis.pdf

- Hank Simon