Robert J. Lang - Praying Mantis

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

hank simon,
i think you will find that the diagrams you hold are of the mantis from origami insects and their kin, which, as you guessed, are probably illegal
(heh :twisted: ).
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

Really doubtfull that they are illegal, they are also posted here for a long while: http://www.origami.com/diagram.html
Date added: Oct 25, 1995
My Flickr

FlareglooM
the modern einstein

Hey! it seems that most diagrams on the net are used without the designers permission, but if you have got proof or some private reference that they are not, I'll accept that. after all, I fold mostly from books, and don't go on the web as much as I did.
Radiant_Howl2628

Post by Radiant_Howl2628 »

can someone help me with step 39 for the praying mantis from insects and their kin thanks
the modern einstein

Radiant_howl, this is simply a closed wrap of the top layer. All you do is shape the paper so it curves towards you, then sink the bottom of the thick point under the layer that originally lies under it.
lyon0100

Re: Robert J. Lang - Praying Mantis

Post by lyon0100 »

Would anybody be willing to post a picture of what step 35 looks like? I've seen the same instruction in other models to "wrap one layer to the front" but I've never been able to figure it out.

I think if I can see it just once, I'd never get stuck on it again
Radiant_Howl2628

Post by Radiant_Howl2628 »

hey back again so i need help with step 51 i cant figure out how to make this sink correctly thanks :)
oz

Post by oz »

The sink is tricky and highly frustrating when you rip your paper to smithereens. The trick is to open up the paper, like Dr. Lang suggests. Once it's open, the square sink is simple enough, but putting it back together can be tricky too. Hopefully this little photo sequence will help you out.

Let me know if you're still confused and I'll try to explain it a bit better. Have fun!
Pekakzo

Post by Pekakzo »

I need help on the step 24.
thank you ! =D
TheUnChosenOne

Post by TheUnChosenOne »

Uh, I'm having trouble on step 9, where I don't get how to push up the excess paper and make it look like the diagram. I confirmed my model looks like tang-Nga pinoy's and I also did the sink. Now what?
"No problem is so big or complicated that it can't be run away from."
--Charles Schulz
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

In step 24, you are...well...reverse folding out one triangular layer from inside. It's just like the triangular section on the right, but this layer is underneath that one...

For step 9, if you open up the layer that is colored purple in the diagrams, there is a mountain fold that should be white. You have to push this up through the area that you previously sunk...
Macone

Post by Macone »

hi...I need help with origami mantis's "origami insects 2" from step 55 onwards.
I do not understand how to fold this step.
that can help thank you. [-o<
cybard

Post by cybard »

Open the whole thing ! Then reverse...
Fold the world !
esskayjee

Post by esskayjee »

Hey can you help me out with step 35 Im stuck there too
Guenwyvar

Post by Guenwyvar »

Hi guys,

I finally decided to give Dr. Lang's Praying Mantis (the Insects II version) a try.
I am stuck with stage 59 (the upper spread sink part). I suspect it may have to do with me not performing the earlier open sink properly. would any of u guys care to comment or help?
I'd be happy to attach a pic of what my model looks like now if I had any idea how to attach a pic here :)

Thanks in advance for any help.