Help with Lang's violist

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
papier

Help with Lang's violist

Post by papier »

Hi everybody, i'm new here. It's really a good forum! Well i found this in Mr Lang's page: http://langorigami.com/art/gallery/gall ... me=violist
and with its crease pattern here: http://langorigami.com/art/human/violist_cp.pdf
Lang said that this was a TreeMaker design in which the subject was partially symmetric, so the base is completely irregular. :roll: I found it cool for real! I just can't work it out by myself though i have tried to collapse the printed CP. I'm wondering where to start... at sea now. My english is not good enough, hope you could understand what i'm talking about :wink: thanks for reading my topic anyway!
Last edited by papier on March 10th, 2006, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papier

Post by papier »

I really appreciate it if someone could give me some advices of how to fold this crease pattern :D !
Last edited by papier on March 11th, 2006, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kehom

Post by kehom »

Hello. Lang´s violinist is full diagramed at his book "The Complete Book of Origami". The crease patter on his site is not a violinist! It´s a violist!
Violinist and violists are different! :wink:

About folding from the pattern, sorry, I´m not good with it! But, a good start could be here
Eileen's Beginner's Guide to Crease Patterns.
Good luck with it!
May the shwartz be with you! ;)
papier

Post by papier »

Many thanks for your advice! Yep, you're right i made a stupid mistake. I've corrected it. In fact what i want is the very violist not the diagrammed one. :oops:
Last edited by papier on March 11th, 2006, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
papier

Post by papier »

And i found it seems somewhere impossible to fold as the CP indicated. Are there any mistakes in this crease pattern? I mean some mountain or valley lines or there is a certain strange way to make it? Hope smart readers here could give me a hand. :D
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I haven't folded it yet but there are two lines in this CP which are there only for reference reasons.
In the upper, middle part of the CP there are two dotted lines which are not to be folded. They are there only to show you that some lines of the CP are not exactly aligned.

Also with Lang's CPs you sometimes have 3 types of lines: mountains, valleys and unfolded lines, i.e. creases you make but that will actually remain unfolded in the finished model.
Those unfolded lines, displayed as thin grey lines, are sometimes very hard to distinguish from the thicker black mountain fold lines.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Ok then, I played around a bit and the CP is actually not that hard to fold. Here's a front and a back view of the collapsed base.

ImageImage

As to turning this base into a violist... I have no idea how to come up with something even remotely resembling Lang's version... :roll:
Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Hehe, since I didn't want to leave the collapsed base unused I played around a bit more and turned it into this cartoonish pirate I'm actually quite proud of :D

The model has everything a "true" pirate needs, some kinda sword (which would have been the viola bow), a wooden leg (where otherwise a second foot would be), and the best part in my opinion: a parrot sitting on the shoulder (instead of a viola) :-)

Gerwin
papier

Post by papier »

Thank you Daydreamer, your picture does help me a lot! And i folded a model just the same as yours :P, which confirm me that it could be the right one! Things followed i think is to make it more alike a violist. Maybe i could find the solution in Lang's violinist diagram :wink: Thank you very much indeed!
Last edited by papier on March 11th, 2006, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear Papier, please enable BBCode and Smilies in your posts.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

papier wrote:And i folded a model just the same as yours :P
Picture? :wink:
Gerwin
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You are right Daydreamer, this cp is absolutely perfect for making an extraterrestrial being with a sword in its hand and a penguin on its shoulder ;)
I especially like the colour changes on this model :D

thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I tried this model about a month ago.
Link 1 Link 2
Has anyone else folded it into a violist?
This was a fun model.
For those interested in learning crease patterns, this would be a great one to try.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Why should anyone want to fold it into a :-({|= ?

I like this model a lot more as Image or Image.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

It would be interesting to see the results by other people, especially the instrument, I've only seen mine & the one on Robert Lang's website.