Sirgo's lobster

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Thelemic Potter

Sirgo's lobster

Post by Thelemic Potter »

So I'm done with the base and first set of legs. Looking at step 54, it looks like a repeat on the rear. If I do this then the legs are symmetrical on 2 axis, and in the middle of the body. Part of me wants to put them next to each other (with the 2 layer point between) to fascilitate body shaping. This seems like it also synchs better with step 101, or am I missing something?

I have to say this is one of the more challenging folds I've done. The leg formation is almost as delicate as Lang's Cicada I head folds.

Any advice would be appreciated, or a photo from the front of the model where I can see the layering.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
adamdust

Post by adamdust »

this is ironic considering i just finished folding this model after printing the diagrams out last night. i used 12 inch (about 30 cm) light blue tissue foil.
i'm sure we are both looking at two different instructions since 54 only shows the beginning of the first set of legs on the one side, but i know what you mean. it at first feels awkward to havefour legs on one side and then four the complete opposite side with huge layers of unused paper in the middle. but i assure you it will work out in the end. the body is a bit bulky and the final shell takes the attention away from the legs under them, except for what is visible.
Last edited by adamdust on March 13th, 2006, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Dust
adamdust

Post by adamdust »

but the legs really aren't the focus in this model, it is mostly the large claws, the shell and antennae, and all those little spikes at the face, but of course, the legs are still important.
Adam Dust
Thelemic Potter

still having problems

Post by Thelemic Potter »

I tried placing the legs on oppisite sides, so between then (on each side) there were thee points (6 total, split evenly). Now I can't do that tuck in steps 100-104. I had the same issues with the antenna if I layed out the layers so there was 1 point between the legs and 5 on the other side. meh- i guess the flap olds in, just messy, Maybe this will look better when I get home and start with one of my 4 foot squares instead of these crappy 9.5 inchers. Getting the shell to look like his is going to be fun.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

For those who want to try this model and don't know where to get the diagrams: http://design.origami.free.fr/Sirgo/diagrams.htm
(It's always a good idea to say where the diagrams are from, because that way more people might be able to help you :wink: )

I haven't tried this model yet, but it looks nice so I might give it a try soon, I'll tell about my experience then :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin