Ermakov's Mantis Shrimp

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
myself

Ermakov's Mantis Shrimp

Post by myself »

I need some help with the Mantis Shrimp by Andrey Ermakov.
I don't understand how it's possible to make the first reverse fold in step 22. :?
Please help me!
Benlewisorigami

Re: Ermakov's Mantis Shrimp

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Ok so the first thing is to say where the instructions are located. FYI everyone, they are in Tanteidan Convention 17. Second thing, step 22 is repeating the body pleats for all layers. You do those diamonds on all the layers. I hope I helped :)
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
myself

Post by myself »

I know I just have to repeat steps 12-21, but if I make the first reverse fold it messes up the folds made in step 10.
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

The mountain folds made in step ten remain that way to a point. Eventually the will alternate mountain and valley as normal as they normally do. Now, take a look at the crease pattern layered behind step 10. Steps 12-22 are spent creating those creases. Notice how the pleats are shifted down a unit due to those squares (Step 14). This is important, it allows you keeps the creases you had in step 10. Now, study the CP and note the pattern in the diamonds wich were first created in step 14. Repeat steps 12-21 but move back a layer. After two rows, move backwards another layer, fold two more rows in a similar fashion then move back a layer. Notice that the pleats are continually shifted down a unit while your creases in step 10 remain the way they are.
Hope this helps, do you need further clarification? Pictures seems unlikely, but possible- if necessary.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

It's what Raptorex said, but it's a way to do closed body pleats.
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
myself

Post by myself »

Thanks.
You were very helpful, but the shrimp failed. :(
I discovered that I'm awful at collapsing CP's and the paper wasn't very good (tracing paper :evil: ).
I think I have to try some models with a smaller grid than this.
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

Why isn't tracing paper good?Many people have tried it using tracing.
Raptorex55

Re: Ermakov's Man tis Shrimp

Post by Raptorex55 »

That's a shame. Do you still have it? I'd like to see it, maybe I can offer more assistance. I did mine from 18" tracing paper and it turned out just fine! Ermakov's himself first fold was from tracing paper too...
Last edited by Raptorex55 on April 9th, 2013, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
myself

Post by myself »

I know tracing paper can be used for this model, but it ripped in a lot of places.
Jaidev

Post by Jaidev »

Ok i just ordered the book and have only seen the crease pattern. But when i fold such models i usually fold a 16x16 grid on a small paper and practice each part so when you put them all together you have the model. So practice each segment then start folding. Atlease thats what i do. Hope that helps :)
myself

Post by myself »

Thanks for the reply. I've done that a few times with other models, but not with this one. Since it would take 36 squares with a 16x16 grid or less squares with a bigger grid, I thought it would take too much time. Today I started folding again after a break and I might try this one again this winter. I'm still busy folding Baltorigamist's mantis shrimp though, which is going quite well, so I'm pretty sure I can fold this one as well.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i've wanted to fold his model for years, but i've never gotten a sheet big enough. seems like it would be frustratingly fun with an awesome result. maybe over this next break.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip