Bird by Nan help

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
CorigamiApprentice

Bird by Nan help

Post by CorigamiApprentice »

I need help on steps 12 and 13 of this model by Nan. I just don't get it
http://ori500.free.fr/diagrams/local_pd ... Nan%29.pdf
Please help ASAP and if you are the bset person in the world, make a video tutorial and upload it to youTube and you will be my favorite person
gordigami

Re: Bird by Nan help

Post by gordigami »

This is a little tricky, but straight-forward otherwise.
1. As you arrive at Step 12, be absolutely sure that you now have done enough reverse folds to have 3 layers. If you did not properly reverse fold, in previous steps, you would only have 2 .
2. At Step 12, you will , of course , have turned the paper over.
3. Observe the dark, middle triangle at the lower center of the model. That is the focus of this step.
4. Make sure that triangle has sharp mountain folds, as does the upside down triangle that is above it.
5. Pinch,with thumb, the outside edge of the lowest triangle, lifting it up to rest on the indicated reference point of the triangle above it .
6. Push the outside, left raw edge inward, far enough in so that you can now make a new valley crease from the triangle apex down to the lowest raw edge juncture point. This valley crease is not readily apparent in the diagram.
7. Fold that new flap over to the left.
8. Repeat on the right side.

Hope that this helps a bit !
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Take notice of the dotted lines in the diagram, if you valley fold those (this is the bottom part of the paper only), while lifting the traingle, indicated with the thin arrow, the paper should follow the fold naturaly, leaving you with the flap you see in step 13. After that you squash fold that flap (step 14).

This is a type of fold that is used in a lot of models, so if you get it'll help you with other models.

Hope this was usefull.
CorigamiApprentice

Post by CorigamiApprentice »

Sorry for replying so late, but thank you both for the help. You both did execellent jobs and now I am completing the model. Thank you again!

Edit: Okay, but now I'm confused on step 18. How does the top (near the 2) go all the way down to that fold?
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

For step # 18, you will sink the front left & right triangular flaps inward. This may involve some trial & error, but patience is key .
Spoiler alert ! : In some ways, step # 19 is a little trickier, in that one needs to collapse inward, accordian style, the front, vertical, long, square section . There's a bit of sinking to do in order to achieve this.
Diagram only partially helpful, markings are incomplete.
I'm seeing a trend here ...
The steps will continue being challenging, with some moreso than others.
You might reach a point where a respite may be in order .
I would heartily recommend your trying another bird, such as the wagtail, from The Works of Seiji Nishikawa , available from JOAS- Origami House .
http://www.giladorigami.com/P_Wagtail_Nishikawa.JPG
Diagrams are exceptionally well written, is far more enjoyable to fold, and the book has many truly interesting models.
You might run, not walk, to buy it .
Another book, with great birds, would be Origami Essence by Roman Diaz, available from Origami-shop .
Very well done, impeccable diagrams, enjoyable models .
Free model diagrams might be cheap, but sanity is priceless ...
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
ruster

Post by ruster »

I was trying to fold this one and ran into the same problem at Step 18 Part 2 that CorigamiApprentice was having difficulty with. The first part (sink folds), I think I understand. But how do you get the top point down to the bottom. There must be something missing in the cp. Any help would be appreciated, as this is a really neat model. Thanks.