Nicolas Terry's Ghost

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
StockBreak

Nicolas Terry's Ghost

Post by StockBreak »

Hi all, I love very much the "Ghost Monk with a stick" model in the book "Passion Origami" and I folded it many times, but I can't understand how to make its "Ghost" challenge. It says that I must create an additional layer around the CP, but I cannot find the right way to fold it. Can someone help me? Thanks.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I haven't tried it yet, but if you can make it to the BOS Convention in Leicester (UK) you can ask Nicolas himself :wink:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
StockBreak

Post by StockBreak »

Daydreamer wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but if you can make it to the BOS Convention in Leicester (UK) you can ask Nicolas himself :wink:
It would be nice to be at the convention, but I'm from Italy and I don't think I will be able to be there :( ...
Anyway, if someone knows how to fold the model, could he please help me? I tried it again, but I don't know where to "put" the additional layer while folding the rest of the model and I don't know how to unfold it on the final steps... Thanks.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I might be totally wrong but what I would attempt first is to add an appendage to the corner where the foots are in the original CP similar to how it's done in Ben Ball's CP tutorial for a crane here: http://www.creasepattern.com/origami/cp ... iate1.html
First collapse this additional border and then fold the model following the diagrams.
Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Ok, now that I'm home and have the book at hand I realized that Nicolas gave a suggested CP already (although I think my idea would work as well... except that the hands would get different amounts of paper :roll:)
What you do at the beginning is to fold in the edges forming small preliminary bases at the corners (like in Step 8 of Charles Esseltine's Dragon in Flight). When looking at step 1 of the Monk with a stick those preliminary bases will be underneath and they will end up inside of the (big) preliminary base in step 2. You can keep the extra flaps at the corners out of the way while folding.
I skipped the steps where the feet are formed (21,22 and partly 26,27) and formed the ball & chain instead. You will have to open out and wrap around part of the extra layers to get the colour-change.

Here's the version I just made, I didn't use the best paper so shaping the details didn't really work.
Gerwin
StockBreak

Post by StockBreak »

Thanks you for your advice! The first time I made the ghost I used a similar method, but I folded franges "out" of the model, now with your hints I made that:
The ghost is made of standard white paper (low quality, while the monk is made of tissue-foil); now it's quite nice, but it still doesn't have franges on the body, like Nicolas Terry's one.
Here there are other photos of my monk with a stick (one of my loved models):
What do you think?
P.S: the photos are made with a phone, so they're not high quality...
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

StockBreak wrote:Now it's quite nice, but it still doesn't have franges on the body, like Nicolas Terry's one.
I think to get the fringes on the body, you only have to pleat the body layers to give it a fringe like structure. Also you probably can optimize the method for forming the ball/chain to free up as much paper as possible for the body.

Your Monk with a Stick looks really nice :-)

Also this model is really cool to create different kinds of models using different grafts. Look for example here for another model I designed based on the Monk:
viewtopic.php?p=8684#8684
Gerwin
StockBreak

Post by StockBreak »

Wow, nice use of the model!
Here there are other 2 photos of the ghost, made with a better black and white tissue-foil. It's better than my previous image, but, on the final steps, I basically "sculpted" it, not really folded^^ At the end I had almost no more creases but I shaped it with my fingers only^^
I also found some problems changing the colour of the stick, cuz it was more white than black, so I basically sculpted it again 8)

P.S: what about folding up and not down the additional layer?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear StockBreak, for the case that you shouldn´t have noticed before, on the left bottom of each topic there is a "Post Reply"-button, that allows you to post a reply without quoting the whole text of your previous poster. Alternatively you can always delete the text before writing a reply (just mark it and click on the "Delete"-button on your keyboard).
I´ve edited your previous posts, but please think on it in the future.
StockBreak

Post by StockBreak »

Sorry, I just wanted to quote one of his sentences^^
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

sorry to bring the topic back to life but in step 6 is the sink just the same as sinking the triangle section of a bird base or do i really have to do steps 4 and 5 to get the right thing
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Steps 4 and 5 are absolutely necessary since this is a partly closed sink.
Gerwin
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

ok thank you
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.