Marc Kirschenbaum Skeleton

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
paladinNJ

Marc Kirschenbaum Skeleton

Post by paladinNJ »

Anybody who can help me with this. I'd appreciate it. I've run into several sticking points with this model. I've been working wtih regular copy paper for practice.
I've started several of these and have discarded all of them. One after a major tear out. Being this close to Halloween I'd like to make it by then.

First: Can someone verify that the precrease pattern in step 9 is a simple square or is it folded to the crease formed by the botttom fold of the pleated flaps. (They don't seem to be the same to me.)

In step 25 it says that Flap A has some layers trapped. I don't see them.

In step 49, when i fold up the pelvis I have two flaps under there which don't appear on the diagram. Any idea where i went wrong? I just folded them up into the pelvis and kept going. Obviously this was wrong.

In step 63, (when starting the head) it says to pull out the interior layers and flatten. I tried and ended up tearing the head apart. That's as far as I've gotten
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Re: Marc Kirschenbaum Skeleton

Post by Mir Numaan »

rule#1 for asking help: always post the source
malifold

Post by malifold »

I always tear the head. no help there.
paladinNJ

Post by paladinNJ »

Well, I didn't get it done for Halloween but I'm going to try again. This time I'm taking photos of the steps as I go along so I can maybe tell where I've gone and what I have to change. Maybe I'll post a few too.
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

mir numaan wrote:rule#1 for asking help: always post the source
Can't you do any research of your own? It's pretty easy to search on the internet: Marc Kirschenbaum Skeleton, and you should get a few results. From these, you should be able to find out that you can find diagrams in the Origami USA Convention book 2003 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... origampage (Out of Stock),
Or, you can find them on this website by Maarten Van Gelder, http://www.mvg-ori.nl/ori-l/models/huma ... /index.htm

:?
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
paladinNJ

Post by paladinNJ »

My apologies to all. For some reason I thought I had addressed this when Mir first pointed it out. Sorry.
Yes it comes from the Origami USA 2003 convention book. That's where the step numbers come from.
paladinNJ

Post by paladinNJ »

I'm trying to do this model again and am asking for help . For Anybody who has made it: I know this has to be done with a large sheet. I've tried plotter paper and the layers get too thick. What would be the proper paper to use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
malifold

Post by malifold »

I've done it many times w/ A3 sheets of printer paper (30cm). Never got the head right, though... kept on tearing it. The thickness wasn't a problem.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

Sorry about the torn heads. As a general rule with models that have a stress point, I will grip the area that is under stress when folding. Regarding this Skeleton piece, I think 30cm/10" is way to small. I would use paper that is at least double in size. I also tend to avoid printer paper in general - the fibers are way too short to handle anything but really simple models. There are quite a few resources for high-quality papers suitable for origami.
paladinNJ

Post by paladinNJ »

Marc, I've seen some Large Shoji Gami for sale. Would you consider that appropraite?
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

I am not familiar with "Shoji Gami." Having looked it up, there are varieties made with rice, and other versions with mulberry/kozo fibers. I often use the latter, and I think rice paper has a similar feel. Both work well with MC/wet folding, which I would recommend for this model. Something at about a 40gm weight should be good at 15" or more. Good luck! - Marc