cp begginer

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
piemiam

cp begginer

Post by piemiam »

Hello,
How are you ?

Im a new origamist and i just discovered Crease Pattern , but i find difficulties to solve a cp.
I've found some tutorials on youtube and some sites, but i still don't understand how it works :(. So I hop̂e someone here would mind helping me .
I don't understand the "way we should think " to solve a cp. How do we know if it's a valley-fold or mountain fold ?how do we know what moves we should make ? Do we have to be an expert in origami to solve these ?
I really want to learn how to solve cps because there's a lot of awesome models that doesn't have diagrams :(
Here are the models i really want to fold: http://calicoorigami.web.fc2.com/frame/ ... kemon.html
If someone could help me with some explanations,
I'll really appreciate it

OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Re: cp begginer

Post by OrigamiGeek »

look here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2131&start=180
welcome to the forum
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

I am definitely no expert on CP's, but...

Try this one:

I purposely designed this to be a simple box pleated design to help myself work on folding from CP. Also look for Davor Vinko's scarab beetle design. There is a pic in my gallery and I believe he has the CP posted on his Flicker. Its another simple 8x8 box pleated design, which is about as simple as it gets for CP's in my opinion.

I personally think that box pleated CP's are much easier to fold, but they are still good practice for leaning how to collapse CP's in general. For non-box pleated CP's I suggest actually printing the CP and just trying to fold and collapse it. You can figure out how to find the references to fold them from good paper later. I still have a few TreeMaker designs that I have never folded with good paper, just because I have been too lazy to find the references or measure them out and mark them on good paper.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Fold and unfold traditional models (or simple models in general).
Draw their basic CP.
Try to fold (using a new piece of paper) from the CP you drew.

Often folding familiar models help you fold crease patterns. Soon you start seeing patterns in unfamiliar models' crease patterns and you learn to fold them progressively with further experience.