The Great Swanny by Maarten van Gelder - Help

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Jillefsky

The Great Swanny by Maarten van Gelder - Help

Post by Jillefsky »

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new in Origami. In fact I only stated folding a couple days ago. I started with a tradicional swan, and it went well, but was I hoping for something more demanding.
I came across origami.com, and I found the Great Swanny, and I imeddiately fell for it and I wanted to offer it to my girlfriend. It seems so great. The only downside is that I find it too hard, and I really don't know how to acomplish it. Could any of you guys help me with it, specially with the pictures explanation, since I really don't get most of the arrows. I would be extremely grateful.

Here's the link to the diagram: http://dev.origami.com/diagram_load.cfm ... =zwaan.pdf

And I found this site, which has the same swan in 3D pictures : http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/268757

Thanks a lot for your attention
thut

Post by thut »

Where are you having trouble?
Jillefsky

Post by Jillefsky »

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Well right at the beggining. Since I'm not used to these diagrams, I have a certain dificulty to capture what the picture means. The 1st 2 pictures are easy to understand. Then in picture 3, I don't quite understand what the arrow means. Then in picture 4 is like we have a total new paper. The fifth picture is like no matter how hard I try I just can't figure it out. If you could have the time to explain me these 3/4 steps, maybe I can get the hang of it, and perhaps being able to finish it.
Just another question, do you think this is a figure that can be acomplished by a newcomer in Origami like myself?

Thanks again
thut

Post by thut »

The arrow in step 3 means that you only pinch where indicated, and in step 4 the earlier creases have been omitted for clarity. In step 5 you collapse the paper using the creases shown to form step 6.
I think that this model is a little bit too hard for someone just starting origami, you may want to have a look at this page for help with the basics.
Jillefsky

Post by Jillefsky »

Once again thanks for your reply.

This morning I went to the bookshop and purchased 3 origami books, and one of them had the exact same swan, but with different diagrams. I've had no problems until step 8 which involves a reverse fold. I do get what a reverse fold is from the link you gave me above. But in this case I just don't get how to do it. I scanned the diagrams, so if you could help me, I would be really grateful.

http://jillefsky.host.sk/Swan-Diagram1.jpg
http://jillefsky.host.sk/Swan-Diagram2.jpg

If you could help me on the 9th, 10th and 11th step it would be great too. Because one thing I don't get aswell is the "repeat behind" in step 9 and 10.

Just another thing, this figure is supposed to be 3D right? at least I'm hoping it has some volume that makes him standing up with no problems.

P.S. if the links don't work just copy the URL to a new page and try again
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To make an inside-reverse fold, precrease as shown, than open the paper slightly and make the just made crease on both sides mountain. This will forse the tip of the paper to go down, so that when you close up the model again, you should have the same like in step 9.
Oh and repeat behind just means, that you turn the paper over and do exactly the same on the other side (but don´t forget that you have to do it mirrored). In the end both sides should look equal.