Fencer origami

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
FoldMe

Fencer origami

Post by FoldMe »

Hi!

I'm trying to fold a relatively simple (?) fencer. To my surprise I couldn't find anything online, so I figured I could make my own model. Here's a sketch of what I thought of — the creases aren't really representative:

Needless to say, developing a pattern didn't go as easily as I thought. I them tried to modify some existing patterns, with Jun Maekawa's "running man" being the best result so far, but still not good enough - it looks rather fat, and there's no epee! I also have no idea how to extend the arm part to build one from it.

A photo:

Could anyone help me out?
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Fencer origami

Post by roodborst »

Using a graft on the hand part and then folding the model again should give you some paper for the sword/rapier/epee? Yould try not sure if could work.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That would have to be a pretty wide graft, regardless of where the hand comes from on that model.
I wouldn't mind designing one for you, depending on how hard it ends up being. (I've designed an archer that I have yet to fold, so it could be a modification of that.)

Also, a quick Google search turned up an old CP that you might be able to use. It was for a man with two swords, though.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
FoldMe

Post by FoldMe »

Could you link that? I found some "people with swords" figures too but they were overly complex - I also want this to be flat so I can mail it. My grafting attempts weren't very successful so far..

A pattern would be great :)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Jason Ku has a couple of swordmen. The not socomplicated one (and its CP), can be seen at: http://scripts.mit.edu/~jasonku/index.p ... swordsman1
FoldMe

Post by FoldMe »

Brimstone wrote:Jason Ku has a couple of swordmen. The not socomplicated one (and its CP), can be seen at: http://scripts.mit.edu/~jasonku/index.p ... swordsman1
That's nice, but way too complex for what I'm trying to make. Just flat, simple and maybe a bit abstract. Doesn't even have to be from a square sheet, as long as it's folded in one piece it's fine. That's my next plan, cutting a square with a smaller square basically "shifted" into one arm's quadrant.
FoldMe

Post by FoldMe »

Alrighty I guess this is as far as I'll get with my current paper plane folding experience. I basically cut off two stripes from a square paper to get a smaller square in the corner, folded it inside to restore the square, folded as usual, then opened the arm up and unfolded. Then just rolled the paper around more or less!

Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

You can do about the same thing with a full square (even though there will be some thickness added by doing so). The CP is basically the same:
The valley folds you drawn on your CP are the same as the ones on this one.
To fold it, begin with the small preliminary base of the upper left corner, using the two long montains folds (add the small mountain folds on the bottom left and upper right corners too).

From there, you got a square that you fold as you did for your model, and pull out that small preliminary base when finishing the arm with the sword.

Not sure it will help, because you seem to have finished your model already...