Dave Brill's Kangaroo diagrams

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
David

Dave Brill's Kangaroo diagrams

Post by David »

I mentioned on a post a few days ago, I was going to ask Dave Brill if I could post the diagrams for his Kangaroo from a triangle.
Dave generously agreed to let me post it.
It is an old model dated 1977 older than many of you no doubt. ':oops:'

Anyway while there are lots of roo models out there, this is the only one I have found that actually shows this majestic animal - animated (moving). The only reason 'roos stand still is when they are stunned by the headlights of the car just about to run it over!!!
Kangaroos and their smaller cousins wallabies are not endangered, and can be seen wild in most parts of Australia and there are some in England I believe, but none in Austria (except in zoos). ':lol:'

I am trying a new file serving site as image shack do not host PDFs, we'll see if it is any good.

Diagram (PDF)

Model folded, moulded and finished by lots of Davids as handled at BOS Convention

Lots of you are looking at this post- how about some feedback and thanks to Dave Brill :wink:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Thanks to Dave for giving you the permission to post the diagrams and thanks to you for posting them :D
saj

Post by saj »

Wow David, you can be our official diagrams ambassador :) Thank you David (Brill) for allowing the diagrams to be posted on the website :)

Something to fold over the weekend.
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
David

Post by David »

saj wrote:Wow David, you can be our official diagrams ambassador :) Thank you David (Brill) for allowing the diagrams to be posted on the website :)

Something to fold over the weekend.
Thank you Saj,

There are lots of well known designers out there who are always very generous and open to sharing within reason.
I think you would be suprised how many read this forum. Hope some of them are still my friends?

There is a reason to me asking to publish these diagrams.
While I am interested in new stuff- there is a lot of forgotten models out there-most are not worth resurecting. But there are a lot of gems that stand the test of time.

There are a few other "things" I may ask if I can post, but you've got enough to keep you going :?

Sometime in the near future the Elais notebooks are going to be published by the BOS on CD. but not yet- so don't hassle them!
Those who have seen Elias's work will know this is going to be a must have. And for you clever sods that can work from crease patterns, the models should prove intersting challenges.
Anyway enough ranting- and don't forget to say thank you to Dave Brill :twisted:

David
Last edited by David on April 22nd, 2006, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brill

Kangaroo by Brill

Post by Dave Brill »

Thought I should add a bit of background about the kangaroo... the drawings were actually made by Mick Guy and first appeared in BOS mag no 67 in December 1977 (....when??!)

The kangaroo was my first design using an equilateral triangle and I later wrote about the logic and journey which led me to this point. Have a look at the second article down at
http://www.britishorigami.info/practica ... 79.htm#171.

Other equilateral triangle animals were the lion and lioness, the horse (see Brilliant Origami) and this giraffe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48384796@N00/132877466/
Drawings for the latter don't exist: I wasn't happy with it, feeling that the legs were too short and the neck too long. Furthermore the paper wasn't used particularly economically and lots of surplus stuff was folded away out of sight... yak...

These equilateral triangle animals all date from the late '70's and early 80's. My aim in designing them was proportion, life, and cleanness. At the time they were thought of as complex designs, though things seem to have moved on quite a bit since then!

My thanks to Dave Jacobs for nudging me into showing the kangaroo again: I hope the drawings may inspire you to tackle slightly simpler figures than are currently in vogue. Personally, I baulk at 200-odd diagram marathons...

Yours

Brilly