Aedes aegypti, opus 619 - Robert Lang

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Malleon

Aedes aegypti, opus 619 - Robert Lang

Post by Malleon »

Hi, I'm trying to fold Robert Lang's Aedes aegypti, opus 619. I've folded this model twice, and every single time, this irregular middle flap that forms the eye kills me every single time:

It's so difficult to collapse neatly, it's almost like Robert Lang hates me. Does anyone has any tips od how to collapse this neatly?
Baltorigamist

Re: Aedes aegypti, opus 619 - Robert Lang

Post by Baltorigamist »

Funnily enough, the m/v pattern where the diagonals intersect is impossible to flat-fold because there needs to be a difference of 2 between the number of mountains and valleys.
What I would do is ignore the two middle squares formed by the diagonals and crease the other four until they meet in the middle like this: >-<. Then you should be able to collapse the flap normally and sink the corners to create the eye.

It's hard to explain in words, but I might be able to post a picture later.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Baltorigamist wrote:Funnily enough, the m/v pattern where the diagonals intersect is impossible to flat-fold because there needs to be a difference of 2 between the number of mountains and valleys.
What I would do is ignore the two middle squares formed by the diagonals and crease the other four until they meet in the middle like this: >-<. Then you should be able to collapse the flap normally and sink the corners to create the eye.

It's hard to explain in words, but I might be able to post a picture later.
I still don't get it. What middle square?

EDIT: I collapsed it like this:

Is this correct?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That looks like it should work. Not what I had in mind, but I think it's what Lang would do.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

Hey Malleon, have you solved the crease pattern? I have already folded the crease pattern but I am having difficulty to fold the base :)