Robert Lang Butterfly - Insects and their kin

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Scoopey

Robert Lang Butterfly - Insects and their kin

Post by Scoopey »

Hello there folk help in advance...
This subject has cropped up before but the question I need has not been answered.
It relates to steps 28-30.
I understand that is is box pleating..however no matter how many times I try I cannot get the top end of the model to look like step 29, where the top point falls away.
Is this a I diagram error. I think this is one of those cases where an internal view would really have been helpful as there is even an admission that this is the hardest step in the entire model.
To make the top actually fall away indicates that perhaps the closes sink in step 19 might not have been down right.
This theory was put forwards in another post but not answered which is why I have brought it up again. I'm sure something is amiss there causing trouble at step 28.

Hope you can help as I've pretty much done all the models in the book (including the Scorpion and Samurai Helmet beetle) and it seems crazy for an early one to be causing so much aggravation.

Thanks Steve C
Scoopey

Re: Robert Lang Butterfly - Insects and their kin

Post by Scoopey »

After a lot of playing I discovered the illustration at step 29 is not quite right. The top two points are not separated.

To assist anyone else having problems I've decided to post what I learn, even if it means answering my own post....it's a dirty job but somebody has got to do it.....

First of when you reach step 29, if you discover you have an extra thick point hiding behind one of the flaps you are going to reverse fold then it means something flipped in steps 15-23.

Now jumping to step 29. This really has to be done like a double open sink.
Then problems is the paper will fight you as it can't open out easily.
Providing the precreases are strong enough, sticking a couple of fingers inside the model will allow it to be forced open temporarily and then collapse back afterwards. Just be very careful not to allow the paper to form new creases on the top edge....doing that starts making the whole thing lose its neatness.