Viuda Negra ... am I missing something?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
jason gaffney

Viuda Negra ... am I missing something?

Post by jason gaffney »

It all goes wrong at step 27 for me. The flaps you fold over are not blank surfaces as they are in the diagrams. When I fold these over I find a skin of paper joined to the edge line where the center of these two flaps should meet, and bending behind and to the opposite side of the flap.

I find that step 32 is wrong also, because one leg here is very thin, and the other is very thick with paper. I also do not get 4 legs on one side and 4 on the other with 2 teeth dangling down?

Somebody, can you please demonstrate the said steps? I must overcome this little obstacle!

Thanks in advance, jason.
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FU**ING COUCH!
thut

Post by thut »

Are the diagrams for this model online or published elsewhere?
Who is the creator?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

The model is by Manuel Sirgo, diagrams available here:
http://www.pajarita.org/aep/nacionales/espa15-1.pdf
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
jason gaffney

Post by jason gaffney »

Daydreamer wrote:The model is by Manuel Sirgo, diagrams available here:
http://www.pajarita.org/aep/nacionales/espa15-1.pdf
yes, thank you Daydreamer, i had forgotten to post that link. silly me....? yeah. does anybody understand my problem yet?
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FU**ING COUCH!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Step 27: You are right, the folded layers are not blank. That's a mistake in the diagrams (maybe to simplify the drawings).

Step 32: The legs having different thicknesses is part of the design, so they are ok like this.

About the teeth: You have to be careful to free the teeth from the leg-flaps when reverse-folding the legs to the sides. The teeth are the flaps you folded down in step 26 and thinned in step 27. In Step 29 you only fold two of those four flaps upwards, leaving the two teeth pointing down.

Even though the model looks very symmetric, the final flap distribution isn't. You just have to make sure to get the flaps at the right places somehow :-)
Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

As addition to my prior posting, here's my attempt with 15cm x 15cm Kami.

You should probably use some sort of foil paper for that model so you can shape and thin the legs better than I was able to do with Kami.

I didn't like the body blown up as much as in the diagrams so I left it like this :-)
Gerwin
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

nice octopus, Daydreamer :D
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Considering that Sirgo has designed an Octopus with a very similar creasepattern (and he definitely isn't the first to discover the Blintzed-Frogbase-Octopus) you are not even that wrong with your assumption :P
Gerwin
Friet

Post by Friet »

I thought it was an octopus too when I looked at the picture. The blue color and the curved appendages don't really help making it look like a black widow ;)

When I attempted the model a while ago it looked even stranger though. Back then I only had those little packages of multi-coloured kami.

The body turned out white and the legs were alternatingly black and red :)
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well.... sometimes you get the weirdest mutations of multi-coloured Black Widow-Octopuses.... they definitely came to close to some nuclear plant... :roll:
Gerwin
esato

Post by esato »

I had heard of the blintzed bases including the blintz frog base, but I had never actually folded one. So I decided to try this model out.
Daydreamer wrote: Even though the model looks very symmetric, the final flap distribution isn't. You just have to make sure to get the flaps at the right places somehow :-)
Indeed. I don´t know if I folded right, but half of the legs turned out thicker than the other four. Did that happen to you too, Daydreamer?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Yes, half of the legs are thicker, that's why foil might be better for this model because it should enable you to get the legs to look more evenly.
Gerwin
jason gaffney

Post by jason gaffney »

oh i see, the diagrams are hard to follow in terms of keeping the right flaps in the correcet places. i've had to improvide on the final steps to get the model symetrical...and boy, this thing just does not work without tissue foil. without it, the final steps are very thick and the legs are almost impossible to pose.