John Montroll's camel head

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Joha

John Montroll's camel head

Post by Joha »

Could someone please tell me how to get the head on John Montroll's camel from Origami Sculptures? At one step the head looks like a fox's and the instructions say pleat sink the head (or something like that) and then on the last step a very nice and complete head is shown. Could someone please give me hints, pictures, a movie maybe?

Thanksa
Joha

Post by Joha »

Come on people how about some help for a fellow folder? Or do all questions have to be about those extra complex 200+ step models?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Slow down a bit, I´m sure most of us have to work in addition to folding, so we can´t provide a help file in just a bit more than a day. Leave us some time and you may get your help without becoming annoying first.
David

Re: John Montroll's camel head

Post by David »

I know the model well, but I am currently 12,000 miles from my copy of the book- looking again at the picture, I seem to have opened out the head a bit?
May be worth zooming in and seeing if it gives you a better idea.

I will be back with my origami books in about 3 weeks if no one replies sooner :?

Joha

Post by Joha »

Ok. I kind of understand what you did by the picture, but the diagrams suggest you get a very detailed head and yours (no offense intended) is not very detailed. So I guess the model (not yours but all of them) is not as nice as the diagrams show it to be.

Or maybe it takes a lot of shaping and modeling to make it work
David

Post by David »

Joha wrote: So I guess the model (not yours but all of them) is not as nice as the diagrams show it to be.

Or maybe it takes a lot of shaping and modeling to make it work
I was kinda happy with the result- but yes (see my other models posted) there is often a lot more to finish a model than waht the diagrams describe.

for this reason alone it is worth getting to a convention somewhere some time.

I will take a look at the diagrams when i get home.

David
Joha

Post by Joha »

Ok David thanks for your help
Joha

Post by Joha »

origami_8, thanks for the warm welcome
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

This is a great model & is every bit as detailed as the diagram illustrates. The finished model might vary between attempts, but you can make it look identical if that is what you want.
Joha

Post by Joha »

Do you have any advice on how to form the head, something more detailed than "crimp fold the head" as the diagrams say?
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

we must have different versions of the book because I cannot find that quote anywhere in the instructions.
Is there a specific step where you need help?
Joha

Post by Joha »

thedeadsmellbad wrote:we must have different versions of the book because I cannot find that quote anywhere in the instructions.
Is there a specific step where you need help?
I do not actually own the book so the instruction might not say that exaclty. The book belongs to a library. It is step 37 I think where they show the head like a fox and give some simple instructions and the head never appears again until the last step where they show a very nice and detailed head that I haven't been able to fold from the instructions or the picture that David provided. So please look at that step and explain it to me if you were so kind
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

The instructions at step 37 seem clear enough:

1) fold the ear: simple valley folds.
2) form the neck: a reverse fold to narrow the neck.
3) Crimp fold the mouth: a straightforward crimp to bend the front of the head down to form the snout.

Joha, can you post an image of your attempts at the camel head and point out where you're having problems?
Joha

Post by Joha »

wolf wrote:The instructions at step 37 seem clear enough...
Sure the instructions seem clear but they are not enough. From step 37 the head is no longer shown until the last step when it is shown finished with a lot of detail on it. Mine has just a crimp but it does not resemble the final image.

It is not like I do not understand what the instructions tell you to do. It is that I consider that they do not take you to the final model as it is shown there.

I do not have a camera or access to one, but thanks for the offer. Since you've taken interest in this thread, would you mind trying to give me more hints on how to finish it?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Which of the three instructions is giving you problems? The ears, the neck or the crimp?