help with single sheet box from YouTube

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
hoodsmommy

help with single sheet box from YouTube

Post by hoodsmommy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RxUtn4zAZY&t=13s
http://blog-imgs-56.fc2.com/c/o/n/confe ... 800064.jpg

The website that gave the directions no longer exists and unfortunately, the wayback machine didn't archive the images.

Does anyone recognize this model? After playing around a bit, I've surmised that the "pretty side" is not the side that's shown coming together in the video.
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: help with single sheet box from YouTube

Post by Brimstone »

Wow this is a deceiving model, it took me a while to reverse engineer it. The side that is shown in the video that is forming the box is not the one shown as the top of the finished model, it looks just like it but it's not.

Check the 0:20 time of the video, there's a sticky tape on the top of the model, it keeps the bottom side togehter while the top holds by itself.
hoodsmommy

Post by hoodsmommy »

I figured out that the top of the box is not the one shown coming together, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get that overlap on the top of the box. Also have not been able to get the pattern to form a "square" as opposed to a "diamond," although your diamond is also very pretty. Can you provide hints for the top of the box?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The top of the box is what is the back side of what the video shows at 0:06, it is some kind of tato. To make it:

1. Place the paper color side up, fold and unfold the square in half both ways.

2. Make a valley fold of 1/32 of the lenght on every side near the edge, and then fold it again over itself, this will get you a smaller square. I'm not completely sure about this distance, try it this way and if it doesn't look right, just fold 1/16th once.

3. Find the intersection of the fringes near the edges and the creases that were made in step 1 and join them with mountain folds, then make some kind of blintz.

That's it.

To make the deceiving box just follow the video by finding thirds over the diagonals and don't forget the sticky tape.
hoodsmommy

Post by hoodsmommy »

Thanks much for your help! I was able to come up with a self-closing version. Finished width is a little less than 1/4 of original paper width. Not the most efficient use of paper, because the paper is essentially doubled, but at least it's plenty strong. I also had to use a bit of double stick tape under the tato closing to keep the ribbons tightly together. And all the creasing is hard on kami, so in kami this model looks better as a white box with a colored ribbon because the rubbed off dye at the crease marks doesn't show when the box is white.

Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Congratulations, glad I was able to help.