Satoshi Kamiya - Unicorn

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
toto93

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Unicorn

Post by toto93 »

Sroge4 wrote:I know how you feel, toto. I tried it after making the pegasus, and got screwed up around step 60 :(
Yeah, I started going wrong around then I think. I tried to carry on through some wobbly steps and completely lost it around step ninety. I'll try again and hopefully one day I'll pull it off
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

i folded this last week and it turned out great with 30 cm terry tissue foil but one thing the back legs did turn out slightly thick and the model is opening slightly.
toto93

Post by toto93 »

Wow, that looks really good. Is that the origami-shop tissue foil? I have a sheet or two of that so I might give it another go.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

yes it is but be warned do not go under 30 cm it got very thick around the back legs
easysid

Post by easysid »

All the posts were really helpful. Especially the ones with pictures.
I still have a few doubts.

1) Steps 89-92 : What are the reference points for step 89? It says fold below crease. The model does not lie flat. Are there any flaps I can align to get the right crease or just go with whatever looks OK?

2) Steps 98-100 : How to proceed properly?

This is my first attempt. I used thin brown paper, the one used in book bindings for this model. It turned out to be a bit difficult to shape in the end. The model has difficulty in standing on hooves. The hooves aren't that strong (or are they?). In other models, there is a reverse fold up that makes stronger hooves, unlike a pleat in this one.
Also, I really crumpled my paper in getting step 89 and 98 to look like diagrams. I went ahead with whatever made the model lie flat as in diagrams. Here's a pic :oops: . Its outline is recognizable as Kamiya's Unicorn. Just for a contrast to other superbly folded Unicorns posted here. (The tail part was perfect, so I left it out.)

bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

just do this with japanese foil.
28lorelei

Post by 28lorelei »

@MixMasterMark,
Thanks for your advice! Here's the final fold. Any photos of the foil look horrible though.
You can see the various test folds and the first fail on my gallery.

@Trouble, @GJ0KYZ, @Ragnorax and @easysid, nice folds!
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

a good idea when using foil is to fold it so that the white side faces out. that way its not all shiny and stuff
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
28lorelei

Post by 28lorelei »

Yeah, I know. Thing is, I wanted it all shiny.
omnomnom

Post by omnomnom »

hi can someone teach me how to do steps 89-91? i don't understand where the white part in the diagram of step 91 came from...thanks!
oz

Post by oz »

In step 89, squash from the top layer, making sure you go all the way to the corner on the left side. You can see the white inside where the fat squash arrow is pointing between the layers; this is where the white will come from in step 91. Once you squash it, just fold down most of the top half of the squash (as the diagram indicates) and you'll be good to go at step 91.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if it doesn't.
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

So how make steps 98-100? :?:
oz

Post by oz »

I'll help you out within a week, Jadiel, I'm traveling at the moment and don't have access to my resources. I just wanted to reassure you that you're not forgotten! :)
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

Thank you, OZ :) Now i know that i will get some help with folding Unicorn ;) Cuz I realy started thinking that it's useless to ask help here :?
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

jadiel...this is one of my favorite models...i will help you...guide you along your journey....step 98-100 is just like a spread sink....stretch the flap till it becomes longer and flatten....maybe not exactly like a spread sink....but similiar...jut pull out the inner layer arranging it parallel to the sides...flatten.....im sorry if this is a little disjointed...but it looks harder than it is.....good luck....