Devising a method to fold Gembitzki Star

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Brimstone
Buddha

Devising a method to fold Gembitzki Star

Post by Brimstone »

Edited by Aznman suggestion:

At http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/origamiworld/JAN_36ae.htm a nice star can be seen. I mean the one labeled: Author: Helmut Gembitzki, Model: Star.

It is kind of a tessellation of two stages. I know the diagrams are available at some unfindable paperfalten magazine.

The model clearly comes from a bird base and has a twist of the higher part as it is done with the bird base rose. But that final step is still eluding me. It has some kind of squashing and folding underneath. I have been doodling with a bird base trying to achieve this result and I have come up with some interesting folds but I’d like this one. Does anyone have an idea of how to do it?
Last edited by Brimstone on June 23rd, 2006, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

That link take you too the home page of the gallery.

To get to the page with the star, click on the big white star in the picture (top left). Scroll down, its there somewhere... :)
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Hmm.. that wasn't too hard.

Here is my work, I think it is the same. actually, this has the same base as the star in the picture below.

Obviously it is not as clean, but it was my first try at it. Here.

Help: First get the baseas shown in the picture below the one on the website. Then just fold the flaps into the center. hope that helps, I'll probably post pictures later.
Flickr Photos
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Damn I knew it was something this simple.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I was never a big fan of Peanuts, but that character on your avatar was the coolest
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I got motivated...

Start with a bird base (if you don't know what that is your trying the wrong model :wink: )
1. Make a crease that connects the cnterline of the model, with the horizontal crease. The crease is already there.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coolawsom ... pg&.src=ph
In progress:

2. Do this on all the flaps, four times total.
3. Fold the center point to to where the horizontal and vertical creases meet, unfold.
4. Collaps the model on the creases made in steps 1&2 squashing the center point. In progress.
Folde flat.
And, like I said in the previous post, fold the four flaps of the squash into the center.

Have fun folding.
Flickr Photos
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Ooh, here is the finished model.

And about peanuts: I think snoopy was the best, but that was taken by alot people so I changed. My brother plays piano, so this dude was the obvious choice.
Flickr Photos
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

how many people (other than me) have snoop I only know of one other but i forgot who
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I think a few other people have it, too bad you can't do a search of avitars.. :).

Oh well, I do think schroder is better (at the piano)...
Flickr Photos
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To avoid sharing one avatar with many other people, you can always upload your own picture as avatar. I very welcome this method because its easier to me to link a picture to a person than a name (in my opinion thats the appreciation behind avatars) and it´s always confusing if more than one person has taken a specific avatar. How would it be for example to take a photo of your favorite Origami model folded by you?
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Ok :)

My problem in the past was that I could not get the correct deminsions and such, but I've since solved that problem. Now I am a little Asian baby...
Flickr Photos
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Back on topic this experience was really good. Finding how to fold a model just by looking at its finished state. Has someone else had this experience? If so, with what models?

The instructions from Hugo Pereira about Maekawa's Devil claim to be just this. That would really be quite an accomplishement
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The above star, prisonbreak flower and duck, a box and a geometrical shape I was asked for at the Masters of Origami exhibition (they where on display and another folder wanted to know if I would know how to fold them because she liked to learn), a bug, a modular star and some more models I don´t remember at the moment. For simple models my experience is often enough to know how to fold something just by looking at it. For more complex models my understanding grows the longer I deal with creasepatterns, because I learn to understand the underlying structure of the models.
metrodj

Post by metrodj »

Isn't this star the same thing that Ron Yu shows for a rose calyx?

Simple Calyx, Stem and Leaf for the Kawasaki Rose
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, that´s it. And for the variation the inner layers are folded to the middle with angle bisectors.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

origami_8 wrote:For simple models my experience is often enough to know how to fold something just by looking at it. For more complex models my understanding grows the longer I deal with creasepatterns, because I learn to understand the underlying structure of the models.
Could I challenge you to find the way to fold the peas at http://www.korgwal.com/origami/index.html I mean the ones at the picture that reads ... These go to eleven

Not because I don't believe your skills, but because I haven't been able to. All I've gotten is crossed box pleating