Origami Matrioshka Dolls

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
paperz

Origami Matrioshka Dolls

Post by paperz »

Hi,

It is amazing if one can know how to fold a model just by looking at it. Hats off to anyone and everyone who can do it. BTW, Can you guess how these models (Matrioshka dolls) are made? I have even contacted the designer for a crease pattern but it is not available. My guess is it uses 'Prelimnary base'...I tried to fold it too, but was unable to figure out how to fold it further.

http://spinflipper.com/origami/design/s ... y=6&pic=35

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, that was easy, I´d just have to play a bit with the dimensions to get the lower part flaps closed that nicely like Eileen´s:

Image Image
The body part is a simple box made out of a waterbomb base where I have reverse folded the little flaps inside to get a locking mechanism for the head. The head is made from a blintzed preliminary base (=waterbomb base) where one corner was folded in the other direction to get the colourchange for the face.

By the way, brilliant design Wolf! :D
Last edited by origami_8 on June 25th, 2006, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

So, this one here is better:

Image Image
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Yep, that's more or less how it's folded, well done!
paperz

Origami Matrioshka Dolls

Post by paperz »

Hi,

Really, hats off to you origami_8. Wolf, I never knew you are on the same forum. You are simply great!!! Thanks and regards to you both. :D

origami_8, is there a color change (looks yellow) on just the top part of the upper half in the orange doll?

Just one more question, what size paper do you recommend for the next smaller level? I am really a dumbo when it comes to paper sizes....so please help.

Regards,
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The small triangle for the face is colourchanged (white), the rest of the model is orange.
I folded it from 13 cm paper, so I would probably try to go down with the papersize for lets say two centimeters and try how it fits into the larger doll, but I really can´t say it exactly since I haven´t tried yet. If you´re not sure about the papersize try first with some waste paper (advertisements and the like) before taking your best Origamipaper...
paperz

Post by paperz »

Thanks so much origami_8 (Anna). Yes, I will try with some colored copy paper I have, and then go to the chiyogami paper. :lol:
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It's been a while and I have no idea where I left the notes for the model, but I think the paper size decrease by 1 cm on the side for each smaller level. The largest doll shown in the photos started with 6 inch (15cm) squares of plain kami and chiyogami, which means that the smallest would be around 10 cm.
paperz

Post by paperz »

Thanks wolf! You're right about the 2cm decrease for each smaller doll. I will post pictures soon :)