Big Totoro v2 by Michelle Fung

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
wonton

Big Totoro v2 by Michelle Fung

Post by wonton »

Hi,

After struggling with the Nekobus by Brian Chan I'm trying with some other CPs from the movie "My Neighbor Totoro".

This time I'm trying with this Totoro by Michelle Fung:

http://www.michellefung.net/origami/big ... odelviewer

Well, I don't know where to start. Is there any basic fold in the CP to start with? The main reference points?
I should add that I've tried to contact the author without success :-S.

I must confess that I'm not too good with CP even trying with the more basic models, so I don't know if this model is beyond my capabilities even with your help ;-).

Thank you!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Big Totoro v2 by Michelle Fung

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I know shuki Kato has a pretty good Totoro too. I think he also made a video tutorial of him folding it, which you can find on YouTube.
Sorry I can't help much with Michelle's crease pattern.
wonton

Post by wonton »

Thank you NeverCeaseToCrease!

I like Michelles' model more because it has much more detail, but the one you posted seems very easy so I'll try this too. At least I would have a Totoro folded ;-).

Thank you again!
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

If it is a Totoro model more than a CP challenge you are looking for, an easy and cute one is Robin Glynn's model. You can find the diagram on Joseph Wu's website.
wonton

Post by wonton »

I already knew that model. I was looking for a complex model of Totoro because it's a present and I would like it was as similar as the one of the movie.

But thank you very much anyway :-)!
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

As for reference points, those seem to be based on thirds.

- The center of the bird base (black square) on the top left quadrant, lies on 1/3. To fold, see the red lines.
- As for the other corners of the bird base, fold the angled bisectors on the bottom left and top right. (fish base on top the top left). To fold see the blue lines.

From these points you should be able to find a big part of the other creases, if not all.

Good luck.
My Flickr

FlareglooM
wonton

Post by wonton »

Thank you very much FlareglooM!

But after 2 days trying to fold this following your suggestions I must admit that CPs are not made for me :-(. I was good with classical diagrams because they were very detailed, but with CPs, having to use my imagination I can't hardly solve them.

For example, I know how to fold a bird base easily from a square, but if the square is in the middle of a big CP I don't know how to fold this base bird. What should I fold first in this model? The blue lines and the red lines? And in this case, blue lines are valley folds and red lines are mountain folds?

I know that I should start with very simple CPs, taking practice and then try with more complex models, but this way I guess I could fold this model in a year ;-). And I don't have too much time.

Well, I will keep trying but I 'm not too optimistic.

Anyway, thank you very much again.
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

You add the colours after because you haven't estimated which line is valley.
Any line can be reverse folded.
Visit Michelle Fungs website and read her blogs..
She even says her self her folds are based mainly on 22.5 and 45 ° and parallel lines on the plane..
Not very tricky mathematically but effective illusion.
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

This really is more difficult than box grids because one has to be able to recognise angles and many references are hard to find without knowing the basic moves .Michelle Fung has some bases and lines she always used so after folding her designs you get adjusted to her way.
She has a channel on YouTube .Work through done of the models and after the precrease stage study the crease patterns.
Remember all a diagram is are the steps leading to the collapse .
The best books have a picture of the c.p AND diagram look for those . Plenty free books such as Esquinas available at Nicholas Terry shop