Need help with Robert Lang's Hummingbird

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
e-mo

Need help with Robert Lang's Hummingbird

Post by e-mo »

Hello all,

I am trying to fold Robert Lang's hummungbird. I think I got pretty far, but there are some steps I dont seem to be able to follow.

1. Steps: 28-29
cant pull out the tail somehow....
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g8k6Y ... CRWp3QK6wg

2. Steps: 32-35
Basically steps 32 and 33, I cant make it look like shown on the diagrams.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HH4q6 ... UxAomxVX2k

cheers,
e-mo
Baltorigamist

Re: Need help with Robert Lang's Hummingbird

Post by Baltorigamist »

For 28-29, you need to crimp the layers just below the tail. That will result in the creases from the open sink being “undone.”

For 32-35, it’s easier to curve the tip of the flap toward you and then push it inside-out after step 34. Keep in mind that your paper choice is definitely a factor here, and it’s next to impossible with copy paper.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Yes the choice of paper was bad. Did it only cuz I printed the CP on it in order to see some steps.
I slso so some other threats in this forum with the same issue. Some of them have pictures, but they seem to be dead and not displaying anymore. Probably that would help for better understanding..

e-mo
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

btw...while searching for online guidance, I realized there are 2 versions of robert lang's hummingbird, is it right? One version with and the other without legs..
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Hi all,

I have figured out how the head and body is shaped, but I still dont get the tale part done proberly.
Any advise?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

The tail is tricky to describe in words, and IMO the diagrams aren’t as clear as they could be.
Once you sink the point that forms the tail, you’re left with a folded-up octagon where all the edges are aligned. My advice would be this:
1) Open out the octagon. Try not to crease the body, but distribute the attached edges symmetrically.
2) Fold the whole octagonal assembly in half so that the layers stick out to either side.
3) Crimp the side layers to taste.

By the way, please watch double-posting. There’s an Edit feature which will allow you to do just that.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

ahhh...

that is an interesting approach. I will try it later this evening and give here a feedback...

cheers,
e-mo
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Hi...

I tried to work after the octoganal part, but the steps from 22 - 28 makes is somehow not possible, since layer for the body needed to fold in somehow.
Can someone just take a picture of the tailpart how to do it? I think that would help.
I tried to google for pictures of that hummingbird already, but there are non pictures, which displays it clearly.

cheers,
e-mo
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Hi all...

I tested as proposed, but it still was not possible, as I still needed to mountainfold the flaps...
take a look at these pictures.

1. after sinking, and creating the corners...

2. my try to fold the tail with the very first flap

3. my try to fold the tail with the 2nd flap. I thought this is shown on the diagramm, but if I consider that, then I wont be able to fold 2 more...

Link:
https://imgur.com/a/gbd1Qj1
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That's definitely a good start. There are still a few edges hidden inside that are aligned with the line of symmetry. You'll need to crimp the outer edges near the base of the sunk point while flattening out the creases in the sink.

Let me see if I can't take some pictures to help you out a bit more.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

that would be great if you can help me out with some pictures...

meanwhile, I tried to crawl the web for some images of the tail. It confuses me a bit, if I compare the diagrams vs the online pictures of some hummingsbirds by Robert Lang.
In the diagrams, it looks like as if I have to spread out 3 flaps. But from the pictures I see online, I can see some ppl does it with 2 flaps only. So I am a bit confuse...

e-mo
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Baltorigamist...have you forgotten about me? :wink:
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I haven’t forgotten—I’ve just been busy. I’ll try to take the pictures this afternoon.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Baltorigamist wrote:I haven’t forgotten—I’ve just been busy. I’ll try to take the pictures this afternoon.

Are you sure about that, that you havent forgotten about me? :wink:
oz

Post by oz »

I, too, have found that life is really busy as you get older. Work, family, health, and different interests frequently overtake origami, and I don't check the forums nearly as often as I used to.

Regardless, I had some free time this morning and folded the hummingbird to help you out. I assume you're asking for help on the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, found in Origami Design Secrets, but let me know if I have that wrong. Please put what book and model you're referencing when asking for help.

Steps 28 and 29 look like this:
If you need more detail on the tail, let me know what part you're still struggling with, and I can take some more detailed pictures.

Steps 32-35 are as follows:

Let me know if this helps, and let me know what other issues you're having with this model. Happy folding.