New member - crease patterns

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ManInTheBox

New member - crease patterns

Post by ManInTheBox »

Hey guys! I'm a new member here and a big fan of Origami. I'm 15 now, been folding since I was maybe like 4 or 5.

I have no trouble following diagrams and figuring out complicated steps but I do have trouble with crease patterns. I know crease patterns have been covered here before but I don't think there is a topic about creating them.

It's not the collapsing part I am having trouble with, it is actually creating the crease pattern - how do you make all those creases without making too many guidelines which busy up the paper? And for the more complex models, how do you know where to put the creases at all? There must be something I'm missing here - please help.

P.S. Here's one example
http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~origami/horse.html

Doesnt seem too hard to collapse but how the heck do you fold the pattern?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Usually all you need is to find one or two reference points/lines to be able to get all the creases in a CP. Finding those necessary reference points is a question of experience, and usually there is more than one possibilty.

For the CP of Noboru Miyajima's Horse you can for example get all the creases when you have the red line:

[img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6564/cphorse8ld.gif[/img]

From there all the angles you need are multiples of 22,5 (birdbase angles).
To get this line you can for example use reference finder or use the more unpure method of measuring and marking the needed points.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
ManInTheBox

Post by ManInTheBox »

but how do u find that line? i know its not 1/4 of the paper. lots of models have lines that are hard to find
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

As Daydreamer said "To get this line you can for example use reference finder or use the more unpure method of measuring and marking the needed points."

reference finder is a software application by Robert Lang that you can find at http://www.langorigami.com/science/reff ... inder.php4

For other models you can always try by folding important creases to all the corners but references are infite. Take Komatsu's hippo, in the diagrams you get to step 70 or more just to find the references. So there is no simple answer to your question
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Look other < not just 1/4. Birds base, kit, fish and you see maybe the line divids. If possible not, use lang finder program last.

To make red line make

1 Make diagnal /
2. half Kit base to this diagnal / <, unfold.
3. after make other diagnal , you folds now low right trangle (Look the pattarn) and use edge of half Kit.
4. Now bring low left + up right inside (Look pattarn) unfold.
5. Make bisecter to thes lines.
6. Red line fold down :D
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Here's my best guess:

rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Yes, like this.. but not need left side half kit fold or horizon - line.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If you don´t know how to fold it, I would suggest to fold it after the diagrams, that´s far easier than comming up with an own folding method for a model who´s diagram is easy to get (just download it from the same homepage as the cp).
rockmanex6

Re: New member - crease patterns

Post by rockmanex6 »

ManInTheBox wrote: how do you make all those creases without making too many guidelines which
Try collapse paper for simplify base (flat maybe), then detail after. :wink:
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

(just download it from the same homepage as the cp)
but that is no way of becomng a creative folder...i mean you have to fold a few "wrong" folds to get to the result, but your fold will have the experience of the exploration of the mind and stuff..... so that is why someone, no-one inparticular, would fold the cp rather than a diagram. stuff
ManInTheBox

Post by ManInTheBox »

xactly :D
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I wouldn´t have the patience to fold a cp when a diagram exists, so if I want to fold after cps, I take some that aren´t diagrammed. And yes, I have folded after cps and know what I´m talking about. So the first thing when trying to refold a cp is to locate easy to get structures like birdbases, grids and the like, so you can often locate the main features like heads, wings,... The next step is to get all the needed reference points, to locate them it often helps to print out the cp and try if you can get them somehow by dividing points, folding angle bisectors etc. and if that all doesn´t help you can always take the reference finder for help, maybe it offers you a possibility you haven´t seen until then. If you have all the needed creases getting the base collapsed isn´t that hard in most cases and then follows the fun part, adding the details :D

About becomming a creative folder, I have come up with some models on my own, so I suppose I could be called a creative folder, also without having refolded diagrammed models from cps, but maybe I´m wrong?

By the way, may latest model can be seen in the "What have you folded lately" topic. It´s a dragon turtle prototype that still has the needed spikes on its shell, but needs a graft for a more impressive head with teeth and claws on its legs: viewtopic.php?p=12622#12622
It was a challenge by Gerwin who showed me a picture of such a turtle and said that I should fold it (what a great idea, just as nice as his piggy bank challenge).
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

patient is it virthue :)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

origami_8 wrote:...folding from diagrams and CPs...
How did people ever come up with stuff before CPs? What an unthinkable concept! :shock:

Anyway, it's all about how you approach it - are you folding just to get a finished display piece, or are you folding to learn how the model was designed? It doesn't matter whether you're doing it from diagrams or CPs. You can fold from a diagram, pause at various steps, reopen the paper to examine its CP, and learn something about its design. Or you could just blindly fill in creases for a CP without thinking hard about how or why they're put there, and learn nothing. Again, it all depends on what your folding intention is.
origami_8 wrote:It´s a dragon turtle prototype that still has the needed spikes on its shell, but needs a graft for a more impressive head with teeth and claws on its legs:
Waiting to see a version with grafts, or even one that functions as a piggy bank. :D
sylvain

Hey guys! I'm a new member here and a big fan of Origami. I'

Post by sylvain »

i 'm not the only teen on this site and i begin to fold at 5 to a im very happy to know i'm not the only teen who is fan of origami !!!
i m new too but french