Pandanus Star

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origami boy

Pandanus Star

Post by origami boy »

I've been reading the extreme origami book and it has a few nice models but i'm stuck on the pandanus star step 6 when you make an "A" element. Does anyone have a different diagram I could follow or more detailed instructions?
paperz

Post by paperz »

Step 6 is basic mountain fold. After making the step 5, the ends of the strip are posing in opposite directions. In step 6 you do the mountain fold on the indicated dashed line so that you can form a cone shape and lock the strip ends to form the "A" element. Its not a fold actually, just a soft bend, as it may flatten the strip rather than giving it that cone shape.

Look at step 4 in this link. http://www.bluepop.us/origami/diagram/swan_dir1.jpg
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

I just finished that model but now I am looking to find a model for the two coloured sonobe cube.
Last edited by origami boy on July 17th, 2006, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
paperz

Sonobe Cube

Post by paperz »

Is this what you are looking for?
http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/origami/sonobe.html
Just scroll down the page to see the instructions to make the units as well as the assembly.
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

I was thinking about a sonobe cube with only two colours used like the one in extreme origami.
paperz

Post by paperz »

If you mean the pinwheel one, its on pg 55 in extreme origami book. Other than that, i don't see any cubes. do you have this book?
paperz

Post by paperz »

actually pg 53-55 is about cubes with various modules by...sonobe, fuse, tamatebako.
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

Yeah I have this book but on pg.54 figure D the red and white one is the 2 colour cube I'm talking about.

P.S Look at the post times above 11:33 11:44 11:55. If you don't mind I've been dying to see a diagram of a double flexicube but I can't seem to find one. :(
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

if you want a cube with only two colors may i suggest only using two colors of paper
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
paperz

Post by paperz »

Well, I am not sure if I can post pics to show you how to fold the unit exactly but it is very similar to the unit folded in this link (rhombic dodecahedron calendar)http://www.elrecords.co.uk/thok/calendar.html

Here are the changes you need to make:

1. You are using a square paper, so bring the left corner up to the 3/4th mark instead of the center as in the A4 unit.

2. In the 6th step, make valley fold in place of the mountain fold in the A4 unit and.....so automatically the valley fold in A4 unit becomes mountain fold in the square unit. Now you should be seeing the unit shown to make the D cube in "Extreme Origami" book.

I know it sounds confusing, but I am sure if you try folding it as you read, you will figure it out. I can post sequential pictures folding the unit only if the forum manager okays it...as I am aware of copyrights etc.

About the double STAR flexicube (exquisite model), it is diagrammed in "Brilliant Origami" by David Brill. If you are looking for just 'double flexicube', scroll down this link and you can see the model and instructions. http://ditelo.itc.it/people/gretter/diagrammi.html

regards,
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

yeah i saw that link for the double flexicube before but it only shows the model of it not a diagram
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

http://www.elrecords.co.uk/thok/flexcube.html

Just use a twice as long paper and make 16 cubes instead of 8. Also if it´s fun to do it once, the normal flexicube is far better.
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

It looks very complicated, I was wondering how hard is the double star flexicube, it looks impressive.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The units are easy to fold, assembling is- like often on modular folds- a little bit tricky if I remember right, but all in all not very hard to fold. The biggest problem I had was that the modules liked to fall apart easily, but maybe there is a way to lock them a little bit better together.
origami boy

Post by origami boy »

Yeah it's hard to lock some models together but you can use tape or glue even though it won't really be origami then it still works. I have a question. I am making the fireworks model but it seems impossible to lock the last unit. Does anyone know how to do it easily?

Nevermind, I figured out how to put the fireworks together. It is a very nice model.