Deer - Robert Lang - The Complete Book of Origami

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
IOAMARG

Deer - Robert Lang - The Complete Book of Origami

Post by IOAMARG »

Hi all,
i am trying to make Robert Lang's Deer from The Complete Book of Origami. In Step 21 the description "Bring the long horizontal point at the lower right in front of the vertical point in the center of the bottom" seems not clear to me and most important, impossible to make and bring the model in the form it has in the next Step 22. It also seems that in the next Steps, both lower legs are still the same as they would be before (or without) applying this phrase i mention in brackets above from Step 21.

I am new with Origami, but i'm trying everyday to learn step by step through books and diagrams. Can anyone give a hint please?

I will try to upload photos from both sides from the model as is in Step 21 but i haven't found the way to do it in this post =D>

Thanx!
oz

Re: Deer - Robert Lang - The Complete Book of Origami

Post by oz »

The Complete Book of Origami is a criminally underrated book. It's the book I effectively learned origami with, and I hold it in high regards. There are some issues with it, but overall it's still a good book that has some good models in it.

The wording in 21 is confusing at best. Here's the flap you need to move:

// edited - removed because I'm an idiot. The correct steps are below, two posts down. //

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any questions! Welcome to the forum!

This post will help you insert images. :-)
Last edited by oz on December 30th, 2019, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
IOAMARG

Post by IOAMARG »

Thank you so much for the reply, it really was a great help after many many efforts!

I applied your steps and got to the same result with you i think, as you can see in the photo below.

Still the way the model is shown in the Book in Step 22 includes an additional crease-layer (the one i marked with orange color in the second photo below) which is not there in our result. Do i understand wrong?

In any case i really thank you for the reply, because being part of this forum is a really a critical part of my origami adventure..I also managed to upload the photos now!

Thanx again

ps. still i would never make the moves you made from reading the line "Bring the long horizontal point at the lower right in front of the vertical point in the center of the bottom"..!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/186242095@N04/DKdkH1
oz

Post by oz »

Well, crap. I screwed up and gave you wrong directions. If I had kept folding and gotten to step 25, I would have realized it too. We need to move more than that little flap (see the pictures below).

Image <- nothing moved from before picture, just moved the flap up so you can see better.

This should make your model match the diagram and unlock it for step 25. Let me know if these aren't clear and I can take some better pictures.

Sorry for the confusion!! I feel bad for the mistake.
IOAMARG

Post by IOAMARG »

I have to thank you so much for your time! It has been really helpful.
This is how it looks now at Step 21 from both sides, and i am ready to move on with the next steps, hopefully without major problems this time!

I can't thank you enough for your support!

https://flic.kr/p/2i7mKa9
https://flic.kr/p/2i7mKbG
oz

Post by oz »

Looks right! Sorry again for the confusion. Let me know here if you need any other help!