Quail Skeleton by Kei Watanabe cp

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
bertiesimpson

Quail Skeleton by Kei Watanabe cp

Post by bertiesimpson »

THis is my first post. Thnaks in advance if anyone is able to help. I am trying to fold the above model from the cp provided on his flicker account. However the cp contains 4 points where there is not an evern number of creases meeting. Is it more likely that these are mistakes in the cp or Is it likely that the model's base is not flat lying? Or is there another option I'm unaware about.
Baltorigamist

Re: Quail Skeleton by Kei Watanabe cp

Post by Baltorigamist »

I just looked at the crease pattern, and it is indeed missing several hinge creases. Regarding your question, you could look at it as the CP having errors (albeit minor ones). When folded correctly (with hinge creases added), it looks like the base will lie flat in theory.

Good luck folding! Out of curiosity, what paper are you using for this model?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Yeah, designers often omit the hinge creases, often to keep the crease pattern cleaner.
Thanks for mentioning this though, after seeing this post and looking it up I feel like I want to fold it now. I have the same question as Balto: what kind of paper would you use? I'm thinking 60cm tracing or 100cm kraft (because that's all i have at that size)
bertiesimpson

Post by bertiesimpson »

Thanks for the help. Adding in some hinge creases to the body should be fine I'm just struggling with the head. I'll use 1m kraft paper as it's the biggest thinnest paper I have. In terms of scale I think 60cm would be better but I don't think I'd be able to shape the head properly.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I don't think kraft paper would be a good idea, to be honest (unless you're looking to dry-fold the model). Tracing paper wouldn't be much better, unfortunately, for the same reason: namely, neither paper takes methylcellulose. Just from looking at the model on the designer's Flickr, I'd recommend trying a thin kozo or even single tissue. (Kozo is much easier to obtain in large sizes, though it's a little expensive. Single tissue is much cheaper but difficult to make.)

Edit: I just noticed there are wires visible in the model photo. They're on the bird's knee (just under the wing).
This is proof that you need a paper that can be wet-shaped.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Yeah, I don't like kraft and tracing but it's all I have at that size. I still don't know how to join multiple tissue sheets together, so for now the largest square of double or single tissue is only 40cm
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

I've actually started out on the quail skeleton as well quite recently, although I haven't done anything on it the past week as I've had quite a bit of uni work. Even with a few missing hinge creases most of the body is easy enough, however I'm also struggling to collapse the head - it's where the missing creases start to make it quite confusing, Maybe the thing to do is just try folding the head individually with separate piece of paper to work out crease orientations and stuff.

I think kraft paper would be ok for this model if its not too thick - just use glue and wires, and I've found even painting on a bit of MC in the shaping phase can work with kraft paper. Double tissue is probably better though. I'm using an ~70 cm square of it and it seems like it should be about right (probably just thin enough).
holyjack

Post by holyjack »

Hi!
I am dealing with this work recently. I found the body part isn't like to be flat but this seems doesn't really matter. But things are getting worse when I am collapsing the head part, some points just break the even-lines rule and I have no idea how to correct it, and even the seems-easy place become confusing because I can't flat the model at that point. I cut a smaller one paper for a individual try specifically for the head but haven't make progress.
Did you finish the model? Can I have some suggestion or hint about the head part? Or maybe a red and blue lines version head cp? I can send you a email with some more information about my question if necessary, since its not so easy to put several images here.
Thank you so much!