Kamiya Satoshi - Eurypterus help please! Step 55-56

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
hifya

Kamiya Satoshi - Eurypterus help please! Step 55-56

Post by hifya »

Diagrams/images and video below, please correct me moderators if I did anything wrong, first time posting.

Hey guys, when performing step 55-56 of Kamiya's Eurypterus (Works of Satoshi Kamiya 3) I am running into some trouble.

When pulling the flap up using the indicated mountain and valleyfold as instructed in the diagrams, the model will not lie flat. I am pretty sure this is where the swivel fold comes into play as he mentions, but I can not for the life of me figure out how it exactly works.

In the album I am showing you the trouble I have. When pulling the flaps up, a pocket will be formed. This pocket will prevent the entire model from laying flat. Do I have to tuck the top edges of the pocket to the inside of the pocket? Or is it something that I am doing that is fundamentally wrong? Thank you so much. I hope the album with pictures and annotations as well as the video clear things up.

https://imgur.com/a/EcdXfsf
https://streamable.com/m00408

-Hifya
Baltorigamist

Re: Kamiya Satoshi - Eurypterus help please! Step 55-56

Post by Baltorigamist »

Without having folded the model myself, I can't say for certain whether the model is supposed to lie flat at this point, but it doesn't appear to based on the diagrams. Notice how, in step 56, the edge at about 7:00 on the circled area is slightly curved. It looks like the model should lie flat in steps 57-58, however.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
sattej

Post by sattej »

Yes, the model does not lie flat after the direct result of step commanded #55. #56 showing result is not flat, and zooming in to view step #57, the solution to get it flat is instructed.

Basically, the negative curvature you have is expected. Put the creases shown in step #57 (basically, this is nearly like a rabbit-ear) onto the underneath layer, which you show most clearly in your last image (with the labeled text "Another angle at the pocket created"). In this image of yours, you can actually see that these precreases are already formed and available. Form them, this will take up the extra paper. Then, fold the top flap downward at the same time to redirect everything down-and-right (this is the lowest valley crease shown in #57). The flat result will look like #58.

Good luck.
hifya

Post by hifya »

Thank you so so much for the answers all!
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

Welcome to the forum, Hifya! You can find the rules Here. I believe Here you will find a discussion where a moderator said that posting a pic of a few steps is okay. I can't help you with your question because I don't have those books. But yes, you didn't break any rules, and your post was structured very well. You obviously have read the forum rules :wink: .
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.