Diagramming Software

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
steingar

Diagramming Software

Post by steingar »

I see folks asking from time to time what software does the best job of diagramming. I just found one I really like called Affinity Designer (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/). I paid $25 for it and couldn't be happier. To replace the software I was using would have cost $150/year. Affinity Designer doesn't do everything I want, but it does about 90% of it, and for that price it's fine. Book number 3 is underway.
Origami_Hunt

Re: Diagramming Software

Post by Origami_Hunt »

It seems that Nicolas Terry is quite happy with it. He gave a 55 min talk about it during the "Creator of Origami" Convention of 2020 in Zaragoza (Spain).

Last edited by Origami_Hunt on May 25th, 2020, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

What books do you write? Otherwise I can't help you. But maybe you could finish up certain parts (depending on complexity) with some other drawing program(Inkscape??)Good luck finding something!
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

My all time favourite is still Macromedia Freehand, although it has been discontinued a long long time ago, but it still works fine under Windows 10.
Adobe Illustrator is good but way more complicated to use.
The Affinity suite has some very nice properties that I have to explore further. The main advantage here is the smooth transition between the three screens for designer, publisher and photo. Right now there is a 90 day free trial phase of these products and a 50% discount to the usual price. I took the opportunity and bought the whole suite. For my workflow I found it best to start with the publisher layout, to then switch to designer or photo. Still I'm missing some functionality from Freehand, but instead there are other functionalities that make up for it. It is for sure an interesting program (suite) to explore.
steingar

Post by steingar »

OrigamiasaEnthusiast wrote:What books do you write? Otherwise I can't help you. But maybe you could finish up certain parts (depending on complexity) with some other drawing program(Inkscape??)Good luck finding something!
This will be my third book on Origami Paper Airplanes. I am leaning strongly toward self publishing through Amazon or some other publish on demand service. I will need to figure out exactly what I need to give them, but I'm a long way from that. I do have access to a full suite of Adobe products, but found Illustrator enormously idiosyncratic. When I saw that the instruction tutorial to draw in Illustrator was an hour long I gave up and bought this.