Wren Bird: Wendren Setzer

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
silent_melody

Wren Bird: Wendren Setzer

Post by silent_melody »

Please help me. I do not understand at all how to get from step 12 to 13. It doesn't make any sense to me.

https://www.thewrendesign.com/blog/origami/

Thank you!
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Re: Wren Bird: Wendren Setzer

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

Welcome to the forum! I'll study it later, it makes some sense but I don't have enough time at the moment. I'll edit this post when I do. But yes, that is the least clear step. Also, what is your folding experience? I could help you more if I knew.( And what part of step 12 are you confused about?)
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I don't have an answer to your question OP but I want to take advantage and rant. How come people start folding and come across such terrible diagrams such as this? It happenned to me and it's happened to many people, it is frustrating and one starts thinking that it's your own fault, when it isn't it's clearly the diagrammer's.

So don't get discouraged, find better diagrams for better models, there are plenty out there.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

^Agreed a better diagrammer would do this justice. If would be helpful with words, even better symbols. It isn't even clear because it uses the same symbols for so many things. (Sorry, as an old member of the forum said "My words are confusing because my mind is confused" So sorry if I'm not clear.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I agree that those diagrams are pretty terrible. What's happening here is that the diagrammer is cramming two (or three) steps into a single drawing (likely because they wanted to save time and/or space).

Anyway, this step isn't too difficult unless you're a beginner. You see those two crease lines near the leftmost corner? The upper one is a mountain, and the lower one is a valley. You're crimping the layer down and to the right on those creases, thus forming the valley fold on the right side.
The second part of the step (not shown) is folding the top corner over to the left and squashing the rightmost upper edge down. The result of this is shown in step 13.

I've been folding for about ten years, and this step didn't make sense to me at first. So don't feel bad. It's difficult to explain the missing step in words, but I (or someone) can take pictures if that would help more.

An edit: Steps 13-16 are chock-full of bad diagramming, just a warning. 14 is missing an arrow; 15 is an open sink (though only a crease is shown); and 16 is an odd reverse-fold.
I don't know the OP's folding skill level, but this model isn't something I would recommend unless you're very experienced. And that's after interpreting the terrible diagrams.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
marsch

Post by marsch »

This is not an original model by Wendren Setzer!

It is "Ratonera / Wren", designed by Roman Diaz, diagrammed in "Origami Essence" (total steps = 37).
Wendren Setzer gave the head a different posture and slightly modified the tail.

BTW, Roman Diaz's model is a pleasure to fold.