Help with Lang´s drangonfly (Origami insects)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Aleburzyn

Help with Lang´s drangonfly (Origami insects)

Post by Aleburzyn »

I can´t understand the sinks mentioned in steps 15 and 18, in both i can get a result that resembles the next step, but i´m missing something with those sinks.
In step 15 I see what part of the model Lang refers to, but i don´t understand
if the result of sinking the edge is another edge or a point (both are possible).
In step 18 I can´t even see what part has to be sunk.
Any help will be useful.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

On step 15, take a look at the cutaway diagram in step 18. The interior flap of the model should end up looking like that at the end of step 15.

If that isn't clear, try this: At the start of step 15, open out the flaps at the bottom of the model. They will look like a hexagon with a valley fold in it, from the bottom view. Step 15 creates a mountain fold and four valley folds in that hexagon, like this:

[img]http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06296/Dragon15.png[/img]

There are also 4 more mountain folds created, but if you get the folds above to happen, the rest should fall in place.

If you get Step 15 to work, maybe that will make Step 18 clearer.
Aleburzyn

Post by Aleburzyn »

What i don´t get is if the inner square in your figure ends like a waterbomb base facing downwards the model.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

No, it's not a waterbomb base. My diagram is pretty sloppy-- the center part that gets folded isn't really square either. it's much wider left-right than it is top-bottom.

Here's another shot at providing a diagram -- this time I've labelled the vertices.

[img]http://xs203.xs.to/xs203/06296/Dragon15a.png[/img]

There are some mountain folds that run from C&D to the unlabelled vertices of the hexagon, but I haven't drawn them in. I'm trying to keep the diagram uncluttered. I think they are on existing creases, and if you get the center section to fall into place then the mountain folds will fall in place naturally.
Aleburzyn

Post by Aleburzyn »

Ok, I think I understood your diagram, but, is it okay if the sink is a little zigzag-ed by the rest of the model?
Also, now I can see better what section refers step 18 to sink, but i don´t understand how to and what i have to do in order to make the crimp correctly.
However, thank you very much for the tips :) .