Origami Creature, Butterfly by Zhen Ming Huang

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Alan

Origami Creature, Butterfly by Zhen Ming Huang

Post by Alan »

Hello

I need help with a model from the book "Origami Creature" by Zhen Ming Huang. Anyone familiar with this interesting book?

I tried to fold the butterly but I got stuck at fold nr. 36. One flap should end up in two flaps (antenna) and I'm pretty sure that the crease pattern for that step isn't correct...probably the mountain and valley fold lines are not possible to fold as shown...
Hope somebody can help me :-)

Kind regards
Alan
Splunge

Re: Origami Creature, Butterfly by Zhen Ming Huang

Post by Splunge »

Hello Alan,

I happen to own this book and if I remember correctly, I already folded they butterfly some time ago. As this was too long ago I did a quick re-fold with cheap Kami paper.
From my point of view the crease pattern for step 36 looks correct. The problem you may have is that the crease pattern seems to apply to the backside of the model (white side). If you look at the model from the same view as in step 36, the crease pattern needs to be inverted (valley <-> mountain fold).

Here is a picture of how I think it should look like after step 36:
The aim of this step is to divide the single flap into the two antennas.

I also recommend to completely pre-crease the paper according to the crease pattern from the beginning, before collapsing it starting at step 10.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Bernd
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hello Bernd

Thanks a lot for your reply and taking your time to refold the step! :-)
I somehow found a solution yesterday but it was already very late so I didn't update my post. But I'm not sure If I have done it correctly so I would like to upload a photo. First I need a site from where I can link the photos...do you have any recommendation? Years ago I had an account on "imageshack" and then "hi5". But I don't know which site I should use now to post photos in this forum. Maybe there are some better ones...

My final attempt was to open the flaps and then just somehow bring the paper down in the middle so that as you said two flaps are created ;-)
I hope I can show my result soon. I will certainly try a refold with precreasing the whole crease-pattern and with fancier paper. But before that I want to try out that step again :-)

Kind regards
Alan
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

First of all, my solution is not necessarily the correct one. As long as you generate two flaps from one, any solution should be considered as correct.

Regarding your question on uploading photos. I usually upload them to my private webspace and insert them int o a post with the "img" tag.
There should be plenty of free alternatives for hosting images, like Flickr, Google Foto, Pinterest...
Any should do as long as you have a direct link to the image file. Otherwise, just add the link to the public version at the image hoster.

Regards
Bernd
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography