Umulius Rectangulum

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
paperz

Umulius Rectangulum

Post by paperz »

Hi Everyone,

This looks so simple but I am simply not able to fold it....is there an easy method? I am talking about fig.3 where the unit actually comes into shape. I am almost ripping the paper trying to make it. Please help. Here's the link:
http://www.elrecords.co.uk/thok/umulius.html

Thanks in advance,
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

These improved instructions made by Anna should help you :-)
viewtopic.php?p=4835#4835
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
paperz

Post by paperz »

Thanks Daydreamer....that was really so easy! And I am sorry for opening a new topic on this one...but I searched for 'Umulius' and did not find any topics, I guess i should have also searched for 'magic rings'!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The magic rings is quite a nice model. Here's a nice variation from Tjips in Flickr: Image
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Brimstone wrote:The magic rings is quite a nice model
I must agree... This has to be my favorite model... I too had a bit of trouble with figure 3, but after awhile I managed to figure it out :D It's very fun to try different color combinations
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
CrusaderX

Post by CrusaderX »

Ok this is probably ridiculous, but I've cut my A4 paper in half, and I CANNOT get it even split into 5 parts. It's 4.25 inches I know, but I just cannot find the right length for each section. Any help :( (I don't see how it's 5 inches, I cut it hot dog style like he pretty much explained, it's 4.25 in.)
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Hmm... it is hard to divide something into five, but I'd say the best way is using math... of course, you won't be using full numbers...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This is origami, you can let your calculator aside. Check how to do odd (3, 5, 7) paper divisions at http://www.papercrane.org/?a=43
CrusaderX

Post by CrusaderX »

Well the good news, I got it all done :D Looks nice, I just guessed at the step where it said to fold the sides in (it said 1 and 5 below the paper, Im guessing 1 and 5 inches, but 5 inches was not possible , so I just guessed) so it turned out a little edgy. But it still looks nice. Thanks for helping me with dividing into 5th's 8) .
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Actually the "1" and "5" are only units in general (not inch, centimeter, light years, Ångström, or any other measures of length) the size of one unit depending on the size of paper you are using....
1 unit = 1/5 of the width of the paper
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
CrusaderX

Post by CrusaderX »

Oh! Alright :) Thanks for clearing that up Daydreamer. I would have never figured that out. But yeah, it makes sense now that I know. 8)
Mental4

Post by Mental4 »

I tried to make one of these this weekend, with limited success. Step 3 didn't work out, maybe it was the weight of the paper I was using.

Is there some trick to getting these two pieces to merge without warping or bending? I can tell from pictures posted elsewhere that the small end needs to fit inside the large end and the large end needs to slide all the way into the corner.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I have folded this model several times and I have never had any trouble with the caliber of the paper I used. Maybe you need to make sure you fold the ends in a way that they have the exact size and shape so that when they are introduced into that second end, they don't damage it.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

The links at the papercrane website are dead. Is there any other place to find them? Thanks!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »