Boxes

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
giro

Boxes

Post by giro »

Anybody know where i can find diagram of a box, where if i change size on paper, or positions of folds and I can make a box with diferent length, height, depth.

Thk.

Giro.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

that would apply to most box diagrams, particularly the one about changing the size/shape of the paper
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
giro

Post by giro »

some diagram in particular?

giro.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

you want open topped boxes, boxes with lids, boxes with separate lids? square boxes? hexagonal boxes? there are whole books available on the subject of origami boxes
giro

Post by giro »

boxes with separate lids, was i need.

thk.
Giro
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

hmm well even a simple one is good then, just choose one that's open-topped and make one slightly bigger than the other. there's one called the "un-unfoldable box" which is in a book i have but can't remember the name of. any google search for origami boxes is bound to give u something
giro

Post by giro »

I discover that un-unfoldable box appear on "El nuevo mundo " by Kasahara, Kunihiko.

I find this link of a box http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html
i investigate how i can change proporcions on fold to change width,height and deep.

thk.
Giro.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

That's the traditional masu box. If you change the original paper size you'll certainly change the final model's size.

If you start with a hexagon instead of a square and use the same technique (well not exactly the same but applied to the three sides of a triangle), you'll end up with a triangular masu box. Diagrams are somewhere by Lorenzo Marchi but I couldn't find them today (sorry my ISP is giving me trouble)

Another thing about masu boxes is that if you are able to do some nice decoration at the center of the paper and still have the same shape of paper (of course smaller) you started from, you can do a new masu box with decoration. The simplest would be one with a twist fold.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Wow I had never experimented changing a masu box but it works!!

Just after you blintz the corners do not take the sides of the new square to the center, instead do some other crease parallel to the sides and repeat on the other 3 sides at the same distance.

You'll get boxes that are shallower or deeper than a regular masu.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Brimstone: That's mentioned in Kunhiko Kasahara's book "Amazing Origami"... If you change paper size and stack them, the smaller boxes go into the others. If you just change how you fold it, and don't change paper size, and them stack them, the smaller bottomed boxes go up from the others :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

These three boxes were folded from papers the same size, just varying the position of the creases after the blintz (1/8, 1/3 and 1/4)

thank you giro for asking this. Now I've found a new way to do boxes! The one with the 1/3 division looks really cool. It is a cube without one of its sides