Meerkat

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Misty

Meerkat

Post by Misty »

Hi!!

I'm new here. In a Spanish forum someone asked for the diagram of a meerkat. Do you know anyone?? :?: If you don't know what a meerkat is, Timon, the little animal of The Lion King, is a meerkat. :D It has a funny name in Spanish: suricata!! :lol: When I first heard it, I didn't know what it was, and I thought it was something japanese. I didn't even find the translation into English in my dictionary, which is the biggest one there is!! :shock:

See you!! :wink:
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I myself have never heard of an origami meerkat, but I would imagine that it would turn out quite cute :D Anybody up to designing one?
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

lol, not quite, but I only doodled for a sec. Hard to design something that is easily distingushible as a meerkat because the most distinctive feature is their coloring. Their length might also be noticable...
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
HankSimon
Buddha

Meerkat diagrams

Post by HankSimon »

In Safari Origami by Lionel Albertino, Meerkat pp. 76-78 (AKA Suricat)

Albertino's meerkat
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onairam27 ... pg&.src=ph

Another one...
http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/origamikon ... _2006.html
TPKong has a Meerkat but you'll have to ask if he has diagrams...

- Hank Simon
Misty

Post by Misty »

Thanks for all your replies!! :wink: And thanks for the links, Hank!! ^^ I had found the second one, and I also posted the link to it in the Spanish forum, but I had not found the first one, and I like it more than the second, because it seems to be slimer. :D The problem is that we don't have diagrams to fold it... :( Perhaps I could ask Albertino if he can pass me the diagrams, but I have to ask first to the girl who's looking for the diagram. I will post a reply in the forum right now!! Thanks again!! :wink:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The book is still in print, you can get it in every better bookshop.
Wordgames

|n idea

Post by Wordgames »

For the more talented of folders here a cute design would be the top two/thirds of the merekat peeking out of its burrow in the mannerof a wak-a-mole.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

That would be cute.
It will be kinda hard designing something like that though, since teh meerkat would be best suited in the center of the square. This would pu limitations on details and such, but it might work.
Flickr Photos
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Aznman wrote:...the meerkat would be best suited in the center of the square.
A more efficient method would be to place the meerkat at one end of the square and the burrow at the other end. That way, you can form many of your details from edge flaps, and the paper layers would be distributed rather more evenly.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Well, I was thinking that there should be no seam in the burrow. So, it the burrow was at a corner, there would be a seam.

But it probably does not matter. The model could be engineered to be viewed from one side only. Or the seam could be locked together....either way.
Flickr Photos
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Aznman wrote:Well, I was thinking that there should be no seam in the burrow. So, it the burrow was at a corner, there would be a seam.
If the meerkat was placed in the centre and the burrow at the edge, seams would still form around the burrow. Still, it probably wouldn't matter as you said, since the burrow can be shaped to have a rough texture (to represent the dirt), so the seams can be hidden there.
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

...so did anyone design such a meekrat =)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d