Marc Kirschenbaum - Biplane II

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
k00ldeep

Marc Kirschenbaum - Biplane II

Post by k00ldeep »

Hi All ,

Can anybody please help me with the step 34 of Marc Kirschenbaum's Biplane II , can not figure out how the fold is performed .

Thanks and warm regards,

K00ldeep .

Diagrams here: http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/biplane.pdf
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

This is just to crimps performed at the same time. This is kind of hard to do, but, from what I remember, there are two reference folds already in place.

Hope you figure this fold out, this is a key fold, and you have to get it right in order to finish this plane. I would recomend tissue foil, or resized paper, since the model becomes really thick, and it also spreads out quite a bit
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
maarten_smit

Post by maarten_smit »

1. do i have to crimp only the uppermost layer, all layers?

2. are there reference points for the crimp??
a little birdy in the sky,
dropped a poopy in my eye.
i wasn't mad, i didn't cry,
i just thank god that cows can't fly...
nikita

Post by nikita »

im stuck here too!!!!

how do i get this fold?
do i just fold the lines as close as possible (without any evidence), or is therer a trick how to catch the lines correctly?

mfg

http://dev.origami.com/diagram_load.cfm ... iplane.pdf
Black-Shadow_Hawk

Post by Black-Shadow_Hawk »

First, fold the topmost layer over to the other side, undoing the reverse fold done in step 26.

Now, fold the next sets of flaps over. Paper will not lie flat.

Now you can fold the middle portion of the flap that will be double-crimped, and fold it so that it is positioned as in step 35 (the finished view). Then unfold and, for easier folding, repeat on reverse (other) side of the model.

Then when you do the double crimp, looking at the bottom of the model, you should shape it to match step 37.
hkenneth91

thanks!

Post by hkenneth91 »

wow, Black-Shadow_Hawk; your tip was loads of help. thanks a lot. :D
the diagram was a bit misleading though... :(
hkenneth91

Post by hkenneth91 »

In step 64 it says to "bring single layer to surface." But I don't see a single layer and the direction of the arrow in the diagram goes against my intuition to just open up that triangle and open sink it to the left.

Where is the open sink performed and where does that layer end up? Please help! Thanks. :D
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You don't do an open sink. Just imagine it like this: Valley fold the right front flap to the left , then closed sink it back to the right just under the uppermost layer. In other words: Bring a single layer to the front...
GJ0KYZ

Biplane v.2 step 64

Post by GJ0KYZ »

HKenneth91 -

Step 64 is a closed sink just like steps 48 and 58. The paper underneath the triangular flap you have formed in step 62 is brought out and wrapped around to the front. The right-hand edge of the triangle changes from a mountain to a valley and the valley underneath becomes a mountain and is placed in front.

I only folded this model for the first time myself the other day. I found it very hard to say the least. However, you've got it cracked if you've got this far; well done!
73 de GJ0KYZ
hkenneth91

thank you!!!!

Post by hkenneth91 »

origami_8 and GJ0KYZ! Thanks so much~
Your help made it so clear that I got the fold right away! :D
penselen

Post by penselen »

I took a stab at it. It was hard for me but I'll do it again. This guy is brilliant! =D>
ratchet01

Biplane

Post by ratchet01 »

May someone help me with steps 129-135?
GJ0KYZ

Steps 129 - 135

Post by GJ0KYZ »

These steps finish off the cowling and are fairly straightforward compared to those that make the tail or propeller. Steps 130 and 131 add bulk to the centre line of the model by pleating the paper from behind the cowling into the pocket above. At this point it's up to you how squared off or thin you want the cowing to be. I've done a few biplanes with thin cowlings because there more like that in real life - ie, they're not normally wider than the fuselage. The cowling can look hollow from behind if it's finished off too wide. Anyway, I've put a photo on my Flickr page so have a look if you want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gj0kyz/
73 de GJ0KYZ
S8on95

Post by S8on95 »

need help on step 49 with the two triangle sinks in a row
GJ0KYZ

Steps 49 and 50

Post by GJ0KYZ »

First, crease to the right as firmly as possible then open the model and you'll see more easily what needs to be sunk. Step 50 is a bit tricky compared to 49 but all you're doing here is tucking the paper into the model to make what eventually becomes the edge of the wings. If nothing else, try and get the the two sinks to line up. Also, make sure you do step 51. If you don't you will not be able to do the colour change on the wheels in step 147. Good luck.

My biplane: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gj0kyz/3476325988/
73 de GJ0KYZ