Help with a diagram from a book (Origami Flowers)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
silverlinkx2

Help with a diagram from a book (Origami Flowers)

Post by silverlinkx2 »

I bought a book called Origami Flowers and I'm having an incredibly difficult time with a step for one of the flowers. I know that requesting published material here isn't allowed, but if I only post part of a diagram am I allowed to ask for help on a certain step? I'm having difficulty with steps 5 and 6 of the Narcissus flower if anybody has the book. Otherwise, can I post pictures of the part of the diagram I'm having difficulty with? Thanks for your help.
metrodj

Post by metrodj »

Hi
This is one of my favorite books. I made several of these for my sister's birthday.

When you turn the model over from step four, you should have all those loose flaps on the bottom. When you collapse it into the shape on step 6, don't fold up all those loose flaps too. Those are what give you the shape you see in step 6.

It took me awhile to figure it out too. It's much harder to explain than to do. If you play around with it, leaving the flaps out, you will get it. It almost comes naturally.

Hope this helps.

The balloon flowers and the hyacinths from this book are beautiful as well.

metrodj
silverlinkx2

Post by silverlinkx2 »

In step 5 how do I fold it? Do I fold it forward and down? I think that's what it means. And when I do that how do I leave the flaps out? They're all connected...I have no idea what it's talking about when it says fold the section under each flap inwards.
metrodj

Post by metrodj »

What you're making is similar to, but not exactly like, a waterbomb base. If you push up and then in on all the mountain creases, the bottom flaps will go to their correct positions almost on their own.

This book was originally published in Japanese. Some of the translations were a bit off.

metrodj
silverlinkx2

Post by silverlinkx2 »

I got it! You just press the center in and collapse all the folds on top of each other. It works. Thanks. Now I'm just trying to get this stupid reversed inner fold to work, if I can manage it without tearing the paper.
silverlinkx2

Post by silverlinkx2 »

Do you have any advice for step 10? I can somewhat get it, am I supposed to fold it all the way to the bottom of the whole flower? It's kind of hard to do without tearing it. Other than that and the petals are too thin and small.
metrodj

Post by metrodj »

It's easier for me to make the creases on the diagonal (from the end point to the center) first, then close the sides while pulling the center down. It doesn't go all the way to the bottom. Look at steps 9and 11 closely and you'll see where the creases need to be.