Packing mule phone instructions help

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Brimstone
Buddha

Packing mule phone instructions help

Post by Brimstone »

In the O-list someone asked about a "Donkey with Panniers" or "packing mule" model. This model includes one cut and seems to be very simple, so if that turns you off do not continue reading.

Someone sent this link about phone instructions for it and I wanted to try it but I can not understand step 12 "Bring the bottom point of the model (top layer only) up toward the top of the model, opening up the top layer as you go. The top layer should collapse along the crease line made in Step 11 and the bottom point should come behind the top point to touch your work surface. The left and right points of the model will meet at the center. The result will be a narrow diamond shape at the top of the model. Press flat."

I thought it meant to do a petal fold to make a bird base but it does not seem so. So could anyone help me on this? Please?
David

Post by David »

I have the original book.

It does mean make a bird base.
lift up the two closed flaps front and back to reveal the two loose inside flaps,
squash these to create "the star"

Let me know if I can help anymore.

David
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Thanks for the answer David and I take your offer. So I had tried before and got stuck at step 24 (this is what made me doubt that the previous step I mentioned was doing a petal fold to make a bird base).

24. Open up the left pointed flap along its bottom edge and push down on its top, folded edge. Push until the tip is pointing straight down and the flap is flattened out. Reverse the flap's existing crease and pinch in place to form what will be the mule’s rear legs. The point where the legs meet the body should be enclosed within the model's layers.

Could you please explain this one? I don't understand the first part of the sentence "Open up the left pointed flap along its bottom edge and push down on its top, folded edge" that comma after top is it a gramatical error or what I don't get it

Thanks in advance
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Brimstone wrote:24. Open up the left pointed flap along its bottom edge and push down on its top, folded edge. Push until the tip is pointing straight down and the flap is flattened out. Reverse the flap's existing crease and pinch in place to form what will be the mule’s rear legs. The point where the legs meet the body should be enclosed within the model's layers.
That sounds like squash-folding it down, then folding it in half to the left.

By the way, there is more than one cut in this. One for the sacks, one for the legs, and one for the ears.