Crease Pattern FAQ

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
phillipcurl

Re: Crease Pattern FAQ

Post by phillipcurl »

whatever, the only 50 lines will help someone else eventually...
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
rockerorigami

Post by rockerorigami »

do you hav to print the cps and then solve them or what do you do?
origami is my religion
flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/102061175@N08/
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

rockerorigami wrote:do you hav to print the cps and then solve them or what do you do?
You can print and solve them, or read them off the internet.
-Ethan Martin,
the friend of any origamist

My flickr
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

I have a few questions. First of all, how do all of you find reference points on cps? What kind of clues do you look for to find them? Question two, how do all of you find grids when they are not listed; especially in non-boxpleated cps? Question three, any good SIMPLE cps to start out with. Peacock is easy, dwarf is impossible for me. Anything between there should be okay. Question four, how do all of you manage to collapse box-pleated cps in sections?
Thanks for any replies in advance.
P.S.
I might have some more questions that I haven't thought of yet.
-Ethan Martin,

My flickr
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

ETMOrigami wrote:I have a few questions. First of all, how do all of you find reference points on cps? What kind of clues do you look for to find them? Question two, how do all of you find grids when they are not listed; especially in non-boxpleated cps? Question three, any good SIMPLE cps to start out with. Peacock is easy, dwarf is impossible for me. Anything between there should be okay. Question four, how do all of you manage to collapse box-pleated cps in sections?
Thanks for any replies in advance.
P.S.
I might have some more questions that I haven't thought of yet.
I usually do the fools way of doing it. I start taking a screen shot on my Mac. It lists the number of pixels (x and y). I measure the # of pixels to one point of the fold, and then the # of pixels of the square's length. Probably not the best way of doing things, but it works for me.
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

ETMOrigami, there are several ways of finding reference points... the first that people will tell you is usually Reference Finder, and it is good, but not the best. Another way is to check for references you already know how to get to, such as thirds, fifths, sevenths, et cetera. I actually made a help topic on reference points a while back, you can find that here. You can do this be either measuring and marking, or just by folding the printed CP into thirds or just eyeball it.

The last way involves math, and only do it unless you absolutely can't find another, better way to get to a point. Set up a proportion, like this:

Code: Select all

Measure on CP                         X
----------------------  =  --------------------------
   Total Length of CP        Total length of paper
and solve for X. Using the number you got, measure to that point on your paper and fold the line. I believe there is more in this in ODS, but I'm not sure. I don't have the book, just briefly looked through it in a library. Hope this helps, not sure if I left anything out as those are the only three methods I have ever used.
I would advise against using James' method, though it is pretty much the same as the third one I gave.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

I agree, Phillip. It it a pretty bad way of doing things, but it works okay for simpler CP's, which are the one's I do. I agree with Phillip, his ways are much better.
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
EvilSanta

Easy CPs?

Post by EvilSanta »

I've been folding for a few years now, and I have the skill to fold complex models. I was searching around, and found some CPs online,and I decided to read a guide, and so I did. Everywhere I go, it says "practice makes perfect." Yes, it does. So, I was wondering where I could find some easy CPs, or models that have easy CPs, I would be grateful if you would be willing to share them with me.
Thanks!
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

If you haven't already, you could try Eric Joisel's Dwarf.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

EvilSanta wrote:I've been folding for a few years now, and I have the skill to fold complex models. I was searching around, and found some CPs online,and I decided to read a guide, and so I did. Everywhere I go, it says "practice makes perfect." Yes, it does. So, I was wondering where I could find some easy CPs, or models that have easy CPs, I would be grateful if you would be willing to share them with me.
Thanks!
One of my first cps was Satoshi Kamiya's Ryujin 1.2. It may no be the easiest model in the world but in my opinion, it beats those "easy" cps that are so easy that they are circle-packed instead of box-pleated. Djordje Jovanovic,(his YouTube Channel) has been making many crease pattern model tutorials which I have found very useful for helping me figure out different ways to collapse box-pleated models. Hope that helped some.
-Ethan Martin,

My flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

ETMOrigami wrote:it beats those "easy" cps that are so easy that they are circle-packed instead of box-pleated.
huh? in my experience, circle packed CP's are much harder than box pleated.
EvilSanta wrote:I've been folding for a few years now, and I have the skill to fold complex models. I was searching around, and found some CPs online,and I decided to read a guide, and so I did. Everywhere I go, it says "practice makes perfect." Yes, it does. So, I was wondering where I could find some easy CPs, or models that have easy CPs, I would be grateful if you would be willing to share them with me.
Thanks!
some good ones that i'd recommend starting out on are some of Kamiya's simpler 22.5 models... like his plesiosaurus, eagle ray, chocobo. To get an introduction to box pleating, look up some of OrigamiPete's stuff. he has some neat prehistoric crease patterns. Joisel's dwarf is another good one, and so is ryujin 1.2 though i wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Another nice one is Kamiya's kzinssie type 2...just look it up, it looks hard but the refs and collapse are actually really fun and not that hard. I have a few CP's on my photostream, 4 of my own which are all pretty easy, and a few of Kamiya's simple ones that I'd recommend you try. Good luck.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Easy CPs?

Post by Swapnil Das »

Thanks!
Swapnik Jagarlapudi's amazing Euthysanius Beetle is twice as easier than it looks. Djordje has an awesome tutorial on YouTube who also explains a tad bit about CP's so it might be useful to you. Also, phillipcurl's suggestion's are great.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

phillipcurl wrote: huh? in my experience, circle packed CP's are much harder than box pleated.
It was a sarcastic reference to the cps you find when you look look up easy cps on the internet. Basically what I should have said though is that the simple cp models you look up on the internet show easy models withs cps instead of easy cps that create simple models.
-Ethan Martin,

My flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

oh ok, i get it now
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
CurlyCrescnt86