Umulius Rectangulum Redux

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ostranenie

Umulius Rectangulum Redux

Post by ostranenie »

First Post Alert: My apologies if this material has been covered before - I've googled it for a while and searched this forum and I haven't found anything like what I'm looking for.

Has anyone besides Tjips experimented with Thoki Yenn's Umulius Rectangulum form pieces, meaning bending square tubes in n-degree bends from prefolded forms and attaching them to each other? I've never seen anything quite like this (not that I'm an expert or anything) but it's very fascinating to see the square tubes bent and joined to form puzzles and Tetris pieces and things like that. firstfold has also sort-of-kind-of covered this territory with his Slip-and-Stick system.

Gears, square tubes with n-degree bends ("knee joints") in arbitrary directions, modular origami that doesn't make polyhedrons or spheres - are there published works in English on this type of "ordered" origami? Everything I've found on modular origami points to polyhedrons and boxes, which are great, but I'm after something a little more open-ended (like for 3D lettering or block construction, or some of the very impressive action models Tjips and firstfold have done).

Thanks!

brian
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There´s a construction set on the homepage of the german Origami Society and something very similar here. You may also be interested in the book "Origami Amusement Park" by Yoshihide Momotani.
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

I saw Tjips' 30-degree Rectangulum on Flickr and I just had to try it for myself:

[img]http://www.ostranenie.com/origami/rectangulum1.jpg[/img]

(That's just the same item from three different angles, by the way - I didn't fold three of them :cry:). Yeah, it's a mess but I don't really know what I'm doing. If anyone ever hears from Tjips, tell him I'm absolutely desperate to hear from him about his construction system... :D I've been looking for a system like his for years and years, and all I've found are Kasahara's regular polygon units, PHiZZ, the F.I.T., Pepakura Designer (at which point we start to veer off from origami) which are all awesome, don't get me wrong, but I want square tubes. And hexagonal tubes. Tubes that bend, and have holes, and..well, anyway.

CP for the 30-degree Rectangulum can be found here for those who want to try it.

Any comments?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Very nice! I don't think I've seen anyone other than Tjips fold that before, even with the CP available :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

Well... I made the CP. I couldn't find it online, I reverse engineered his 30-degree version. ;-)
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

ostranenie wrote:Well... I made the CP. I couldn't find it online, I reverse engineered his 30-degree version. ;-)
Good job. The only place I know of where you can find his CP is in Anna's Xmas book. (And according to the terms and conditions, it is supposed to stay that way for at least another two weeks).
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

Who's Anna's and what's her book's title? Are there other "cube-tubes" in there? Sign me up!
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Anna is origami_8. Her "book" was a .pdf file that was made up of designs of people mainly from this forum (I think). See this topic: viewtopic.php?t=1831
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

Is there any way non-participants can get this e-book (or will it be sold)?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

No (and no).
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

So these CPs and diagrams are classified forever? What if I submit some amazing new form or technique? Can I get in then? I only just discovered this forum a few weeks ago!
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I doubt it.

But Tjips might post the CP after a few weeks, due to the restaint put be the Origami Book will expire.

By the way, Anna, the link to the book no longer works. I dont know if this was intentional or not, but it would be great to have to a little longer (I forgot to download the PDF to my computer).
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

That's all I'm looking for, though; Tjips' diagrams. By the way, if anyone sees Tjips, tell him I'm dying to talk to him (I've tried private messaging on here and his Flickr account) about his construction set. I've been looking for something like it for years and it seems like he's solved a lot of the problems I haven't gotten around to.

Thanks!

brian
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

:(
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Why the frown, rockman?
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs