Folding Arbitrary 3D Meshes

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ostranenie

Folding Arbitrary 3D Meshes

Post by ostranenie »

Has anyone seen or tried to fold this? (follow sublink for CP) It's a 3D teapot made from a single square sheet of paper.

I'm also wondering if Pepakura Designer or similar software could be used to derive CPs from other arbitrary 3D meshes. Has anyone had any success with Lang's software to produce meshes like this?
Twisthem488

Post by Twisthem488 »

Have you seen the videos for that?

2D teapots
EricGjerde

TACHI Tomohiro

Post by EricGjerde »

You can see a lot more of Tomohiro's work on his Flickr photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tactom

He actually has his own software that he developed to model 3D rigid-folded works, and it's really some impressive stuff. So in essence, yes, there is software that exists to do this sort of thing, and Tachi-san is creating it :)

Lang's software is more focused on finding crease patterns for circle packing- the general philosophy about model design is just fundamentally different here. I think, given the models he was displaying at the 2006 OUSA convention, that he is working on some really interesting geometric folding, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came up with some radical new works out of all his explorations.

The coolest thing, in my opinion, is how Tomohiro's designs are pushing the envelope into new directions and folding concepts. Eventually, I expect volumetric 3D designs to become almost commonplace, as more information about them gets discovered and shared, and the general knowledge-base grows.

His videos on YouTube are generated with an earlier version of his software program, I believe. Some of his latest work, particularly with shading, is rather phenomenal, especially if you are interested in rigid-folding and uses of tessellations/pleating/structure outside of just folding representational origami.

-Eric Gjerde
ostranenie

Post by ostranenie »

Definitely cool. Is his software available? Has he published anything on the "tucking molecules" design technique he mentioned on the Flickr teapot page?

Thanks!
Tim Foley

Post by Tim Foley »

I actually got to meet Tomohiro at SIGGRAPH 2006 where his teapot was on display. He gave me a couple photocopies of the CP (on standard US 8.5x11 inch paper) and he also had a CAD file that had a vector version of the CP. I haven't yet had the time to make the attempt of actually folding it.

Tomohiro tried to demonstrate the "tucking molecules" technique to me in person, but I think that I wasn't able to see the system behind it just from his examples. Also, just a few notes on the teapot: it seemed to me that Tomohiro was saying that the teapot was designed without the aid of the more fully automatic software he has worekd on, so he created much of that crease pattern by hand. Also, he said there were some errors in the CP he gave me around where the flap for the handle curves back into the body of the teapot (I'm not sure if the CP on his web page is the same version).

The teapot is actually the "Utah Teapot" - a famous 3D model in computer graphics. I have wanted to make one for a while to give to the Stanford Graphics Lab (where I am a student). I vaguely remember that Tomohiro might try to make the "Stanford Bunny" next - I would definitely have to make one of those...